1989 f250 transmission problems!

The way it looks too me you're just not too bright. You dumped gasoline on a fire and didn't get burned... good for you. Keep it up though and Darwinism is likely to catch up eventually. You sound like the kind of guy who if played Russian roulette once and found himself still alive would announce "see I told you this game was safe!" Bob

Reply to
Bob

you should do some research on gasoline... and dont be so quick to judge...

Read about it you will find that if dumped in heavy amounts gas can put out a fire.. you wouldnt want to but it is true.

Dont tell me about getting burned either. I used to be a volenteer fireman, and i have a place in the woods where it is isolated from the surrondings and we burn our garbage there... how do we get the fire going? GAS....

how do we light the wood burning stove inside.. some kidlin and some paper.. and sprayed karosene...

Everybody is so quick to judge... get the facts stright then tell me im an idiot if you want... until you know for a fact that gas cant possibly put out a fire.. then shut your trap and do some research.

I may sound abrupt or pissed... its cause i am... i hate when people who think they know something come in here and call other people names and saying their an idiot for experimenting.

If i want to throw gas at fire... I learn something and its my problem if it doesnt work the way as planned isnt it?

Ken

Reply to
Ken Gallo Jr

I always do, thank you.

Like I say, I returned the favor.

Good for you, your insurance paid up? Oh......sorry, flammable fuel used to "extinguish" fire.......bounced claim. Bright, real bright.

No shit, get it cold enough same thing. Still not good advise.

It seams you have at least some clue, I'll be sure not to call you the next time there is a fire.

Like to hold the firecracker till the last second as well? Yea you can get away with it, but it is real stupid. No, it's well past stupid.

I don't need first hand experience in stupidity, there are plenty of people like you to watch.

Then why the full page several paragraph cry?

So you say I am the cause? I'll question again, have trouble following threads and context?

The answer is not here in the posts, it's in some one diagnosing the problem. By the fact the original post can not do this, it should be at a qualified repair facility.

And you could have asked how you were mistaken, or is that beneath you? Don't answer, I know the answer. If you don't know it was a rhetorical question.

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Let me guess.... you got fired from doing volunteer work. That's normally pretty hard to do.

I don't see any need to point out the obvious.

I never said it couldn't, I do believe only a fool would try it though.

Well ain't that just great. You've got every right to act like a dumb ass and I've got every right to point it out. Bob

Reply to
Bob

Nope.. i found that i didnt have the time any more.. i was too busy doing other necessary things... i found that the fire department by me seemed well on their way to fighting fires so i left... i did not have the time.

I was not fired... i can detect the sarcasim in your comments... much appreciated

surrondings

That gas burns and so does karosene but slower? or that im an idiot? if the latter want to exaplin why?

Not acting like a dumbass just learning the best way possible.. its called distructive testing .. ever hear of it?

Ken

Reply to
Ken Gallo Jr

appreciated

Whats insurance have anything to do with it? Youre just pulling things out of midair cause you have nothing else... come back when you have something concrete.

of course not... who said it was good advise.. i would never advise somebody of doing something similar without explaining the possible consequences.

thats fine dont call me... I realize that other materials are better at putting out a fire... this discussion has gotten out of hand.. it was all about you making a comment about tossing disel fuel on a fire etc... however.. my point was that it can put out a firew.. if you agree then the discussion is over.

stupidity has nothing to do with it... i decide how i want to live my life.,. it doesnt make me stupid.. maybe it should be considered daring.. do you call low altitude airplane jumpers stupid because the risk is greater? No? I think you get my point

Thats good keep watching.. and keep on trying to figure out the enigma that lurks around you... without first hand experience you can never tell.

no cry's at all.. just words based on fact...

not saying you are the cause of such discussion.. just saying that every time your name pops up you seem distraut at the world in any reply you make to this newsgroup

agreed... however facts can be placed on posts here that have been superseeded (spelling) by our massive amount of posts on gasoline

Nothing is beneath me... as far as peoples knowing goes.. i am willing to listen and learn from anybody.. i do not consider myself to be better at any one thing at any time of day then the next guy or gal.

Have fun... Ken

constructive or

Transmission

Reply to
Ken Gallo Jr

Plenty, Think about it, the exercise will do you good.

You should never advise something like that ever! Think about it.

Close, but no cigar. You missed the point of why I made the statement.

It is stupidity, it has nothing to do with "how you live your life". Low altitude jumpers do so with great preparation. Tossing, pouring gasoline at fires with the hope of putting it out is stupid.

Why try to figure out what is already known?

There was no words based on fact, it was a cry.

Yea, ok. What ever.

Your posts say other wise.

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Jeez Moats, whats your problem? Some kind of inferiority complex? Been working as a mechanic for the government too long? LOL In this case Ken is right in saying that the problem might be fixed without a complete, expensive overhaul. He's right and you probably know it, you just can't admit it. Or, maybe you don't know it. Either way, your wrong. The guy is just trying to help, and your just being a prick. And don't give me that BS like you did before about "it's not for you to decide". Just like you, I can "decide" anything I want.

Reply to
Scott M

I never said that it needed or did not need a complete overhaul. I said that in fixing an internal problem it is not less expensive than a total rebuild, for the reasons I already stated moron. Need help in following what was said? Read below stupid.

posted 01/20/04 @ 6:38 pm.

"Don't get your panties in such a bunch. Your were mistaken only in one way. Yes it is possible that only lets say one clutch is bad, you still have to remove and tear down the unit. In other words labor is the same. The soft parts come in a kit, so no money saved there. Can you get the frictions one clutch at a time? Sometimes but at higher cost. It would also be stupid to not check out and reseal the other clutches, and of course you have to reseal the rest of the transmission, unless of course you do not want to warranty your work. Is this shop making money on a $850 "rebuild", most likely yes. The profit margin? To many unknowns."

Now decide what stupid? This is most likely a E4OD transmission, price a rebuild with diagnosis.

Reply to
Thomas Moats

++++You know, it depends on the "internal" problem, as you put it, and how "internal" it is. And if calling me a moron and stupid helps you feel better with your inferiority complex, well ok then. Thats something for you and your shrink to "decide". Have a nice day, prick. LOL
Reply to
Scott M

Define "internal". No, for time sake I'll do it for you, inside is inside, that is what internal means INSIDE. Ever have a transmission apart? If you have you would understand what I said.

Typically people who call people pricks are the people who can't and are pushed to do. I have the feeling you are that.

I notice you have no smart-ass answer for that statement, why?

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Thanks Scott.... Im done with this thread.... the poor guy who was looking for help has to dig in a line of replys two pages long (sarcasim)

If the original poster sees this... I suggest you look around and try to get estimates... There must be small shops that will redo for a reasonable price... just do some research... checking here was good but there is some time required to check things out... I dont know much about transmissions ... actually closer to nothing then anything... I do know that there are places out there that have reasonable prices for a rebuild / overhaul... look around you might get lucky.

My news server blows so i see posts only 3 days old... scott were you the original poster...? If so.. sorry this thread got so out of hand.. I should have just ignored comments in trying to keep the thread short... but for some reason I dont like being told im wrong when I felt i was right.

Anyway ... my time in this thread is up... good luck to the original poster.. if you want to try and get more information i suggest start a new thread including information that you may have gotten thus far.. then we may be able to help in more detail.

Good luck,

Reply to
Ken Gallo Jr

I was/am the original poster. I took my truck to a local independent transmission shop that was recommended to me from someone at my work.

He hooked up an anyilizer (sp?) to the truck but there were no error codes being generated. After he drove it, he suggested that 'we" replace the solonoid inside the tranny. He quoted me about $270.00 to replace it, including new pan gasket and oil. However, he couldn't promise anything. He said if he changed that and it wasn't the problem, that their was a valve inside he wanted to change next.

I said thanks, but no thanks. There must be a way to actually trouble shoot it rather than just throw parts at it, no? I would think that they could remove the suspected defective part, and test it before throwing in a new part, but he claimed no.

For now, I'm doing nothing with it. I just today purchased an excellant shape Ranger 4x4 (I really needed a 4 wheel drive anyway) and will drive that up untill I get my f250 repaired.

I have discovered that if I drop it down into 1st gear as I'm coming to a stop, the transmission torque converter unlocks and then I put it back into drive, and it is normal. So the truck is very driveable. The tranny works normal once rolling.

I'm going to keep trying to find a good repair shop that has a clue what they are dealing with (rather than guessing) and untill then, the ranger is my primary vehicle (but it sure is small!). Rick

Reply to
Rick

Yeah i recently bought an f250 after using my fathers ranger for a while.. i can fit more stuff in my old dodge spearit car then a ranger...

I would also ask the people the following questions... how much to completely rebuild.. where it would definitly fix the problem... ask them that if you happen to be at a tranny place...

250$ is a lot to just be tossing at the trans... but i am pretty sure transmissions are guess work unless you rip it apart and look inside.. and by that time the poor guy dumped a ton of laber into it.. so mine as well have it rebuilt...

thats the way i look at it.

Let us know how you make out.. im courious.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Gallo Jr

======================== Your on the right track I think. A second opinion would be good. If it is intermittant his route is probably the best way to go.(If he scanned it, not for codes, but looking at the lock-up signal. It is possible its a electrical problem like a shorting wire but not likely. Be sure to discribe EVERYthing it is doing, including the part about putting it in first gear. OR you could take Moats' advice and just rebuild the whole thing because, according to him, there is nothing *inside,internal* that can be fixed without a complete rebuild or at least a complete rebuild price. LOL I guess a filter change should cost about 1500$ because it is inside the transmission. BTW I have rebuilt 1 700R4 in my lifetime, done a few other things to them also, but not a whole lot. As I said in my first post, Im not a tranny expert but I know there are "internal" repairs that can be done without overhauling the whole trans. I get the feeling Moats isnt either, or he would have told you exactly what is wrong with your truck instead of just smack talkin. Well what's the problem Moats?, hears a clue, converter stays locked up. All I saw in your posts was about clutches.....LOL Good Luck Rick, let us know how it turned out, and dont drive that truck like that for too long.....Im done hear too Ken, unless Rick has any more questions. If you do, you probably should start a new thread :)

Reply to
Scott M

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Don't have a clue do you. I won't use the time to re-explain to you.

Unless you can touch, drive and put things like pressure gauges and multi-meters on it how can I know what is wrong?

The lock up in the converter is a clutch. It may not even be in the transmission, but a failure in the ECM.

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Reply to
Thomas Moats