1989 Lincoln Towncar 5.0L EFI Fuel Pressure Relief

I am replacing the fuel filter on my 1989 Lincoln TownCar that has the 5.0 liter w/EFI. Looking at the shop manual it tells me to relieve the fuel line
pressure with a relief valve that is located on the LH side of the car toward the front. Does that mean the left hand side as I sit in the driver seat or looking under the hood? I can't seem to find this valve. Additionally how do I relieve the pressure at the valve once I find it? Does this require special tools?
Thank, Bob
There's a chrome Schrader (tire-type) valve on the fuel rail. Depress the center just like a tire valve and the fuel will squirt out, relieving pressure. Personally, I just disconnect the fuel filter line fitting slowly with a shallow pan underneath. There's an initial squirt of fuel, but nothing that dramatic.
"Robert L. Wells" wrote:

The left or right is always determined from the drivers seat looking forward.
John

5.0
line
driver
Does
Two ways to relieve pressure. (1) Remove the fuel pump relay and crank the engine ( no fuel spills this way ). (2) The Schrader valve is on the fuel rail on the engine. If you have a fuel pressure gauge hose install it and catch the fuel in a container, other wise fuel spills out.

in article 1z19b.54506$cj1.23331@fed1read06, Robert L. Wells at snipped-for-privacy@nospamcox.net wrote on 9/14/03 11:28 AM:
Most vehicles have a switch that cuts the fuel supply in the event of an accident. If your vehicle is jarred hard enough, the switch will trip and cut the fuel. I have an 89 Bronco II, and to relieve the pressure on it, the manual says to disconnect the electrical connector to the fuel cutoff switch, which happens to be located under the carpet near the passenger floorboard up front. Some cars have them in the trunk. After disconnecting the connector on the switch, start the engine and run it til it quits.
Otherwise, you can relieve pressure at the Schrader valve located on the fuel rail (look at the intake manifold near the injectors for a valve that looks like a tire valve.) Just don't release the fuel onto a hot engine.
Good luck.

"Jason Carter" wrote

Just make sure it's the valve on the fuel rail, and not the A/C line.