1989 Taurus killer grounds, part II

As some of you may remember, a couple months ago I posted a couple times about a 5 amp drain on my 89 Taurus that was impossible to find. Yes, I am still working on it, even if just on principle. I did get alot further, so
once again i'm asking for the opinions of you mavens out there. To recap the situation: Car drove great everyday until I came out one day and the solonoid just chattered endlessly. Replaced the battery, worked great for one day, back at square one. Put an ammeter right off the battery cable, and found that the car was drawing 5 amps (4.55) with the key off. So far i've replaced the battery, battery cables, starter, starter relay, and EEC. As it stands now, to isolate the short I need to disconnect the wire going to pin 1 of the EEC, and fuses 1 and 8. Connecting ANY of these will cause the drain. Disconnecting all of them will cause it to go away. They all seem pretty unrelated. Fuse 1 is brakelights and the like, fuse 8 is courtesy lamps and the clock and stupid shit like that, and the other wire is the keep alive power to the EEC. I'm almost convinced that it's a pinched wire somewhere, but I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions on how to isolate a bad wire in a car with probably a mile of wiring that could conceivably be ANYWHERE. As always, any and all help is greatly appreciated.
alan
RedSkull wrote:

cant remember if you checked the alternator.. i had one at one time where the alternator charged up the battery fine, but when yoou tuirn the key off the BAD diode i the alternator let the juice flow back and drain the battery.... take the wires off the alt. and see if you still have the drain( the large wire off the alternator and dont let it hit the engine as it is HOT from the battery... hope this helps.
I agree - I just had the same fault on my car - faulty diodes and it was draining - replaced the diode pack and bingo.

am
so
recap
the