1992 taurus wagon

I have the transmission out because it shifted hard between 1-2 and never stayed in 4th. I have it apart and was thinking it could be the solenoid for overdrive band. How can you check those solenoids without wrecking
them to make sure they engage. If anyone knows what else may be the problem please be detailed. Open to any suggestions.