1994 E150 4.9 Six

I'm a snowbird, and drove from Florida to Ohio; the day before I left FL the van felt like it was missing or stuttering, but left anyway. It stuttered for 1300 miles. worried about tearing up the tranny, but got home safely; driving conservativly (rain) got 17.8 MPG ! Its been at the dealers now for over a week, they replaced my after-market spark plugs, plug wires which were only 7000 miles old. The mechanic called and said it still misses, maybe the computer. This sounds like big bucks; the van has 101700 miles on it and in very good condition (hardly broken in). I suggested checking the Oxygen and cam sensor, heard they can cause that sort of problem. Any suggestions? It feels like maybe a transmission problem.

Jim

Reply to
jamesd43081

Whoever is working on it now needs to do more diagnosing and less parts swapping.

If the problem occurs at all speeds, it probably isn't the transmission.

If the problem occurs at/holds off until the 40-50 ish MPH range, it is possible that the torque convertor lock-up clutch is chattering. A transmission service and maybe a bottle of Lubeguard should cure it though it may take a few miles before the fresh fluid works its way into the TCC.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

The O2 sensor was the cause on my '95 TranSport. 3 times.

Reply to
clare

Finaly fixed after 3 weeks! They replaced the plugs, ignition wires,rotor assembly, distributer assembly, stator assembly, inspected for a plugged convertor, timing, and it still missed. They finaly replaced the computer (PCM), and it runs like new. They did not charge for labor because of the delays, but the parts were rather expensive $502. At least it is repaired and runs well.

Reply to
jamesd43081