1994 escort trans slipping when warm

Hello I have a 1994 ford escort wagon with 80,000 miles on it. it started slipping when the trans gets warm when it is cold it doesnt slip at all and grabs very well.
I took it to a trans shop and they told me to junk it that it would cost 2,000 for a new trans. they said there is probaly metal shavings in the fluid clogging valves. would flushing the trans solve this or replcing the trans filter cause this to happen? they said these transmissions were known to have problems.
H20Rapidz opined in

I can tell you how to solve it for an undetermined time.
Find a dealer for Lucas transmission fix and buy a bottle... I KNOW it works and it has a very good rep. DONT be brand-switched.
Go to Napa and buy a small transmission oil cooler, install in the return line to the trans.. while the line is open, fit some tubing and drain all your fluid into a bucket with the engine idling.. watch closely.
Replace the trans pan gasket and filter. Tighten pan bolts carefully
Install the cooler as per directions.
Add 2 quarts of good quality fluid then the Lucas, then the rest ...do not over fill.. watch closely while you add with engine running, in park.
Check for leaks. Drive. Report back