Difficulty starting escort when warm

Hi

This problem has only just started to show itself as the weather is getting nice and hot. My escort will start fine from cold but if it has been run upto normal temperature and the engine is then switched off it is usually an absolute pig to start up again. If it's shut off and started up again within a few minutes it's fine but if it's left for longer than half an hour it usually takes 2 or 3 attempts to start.

It turns over OK when the key is turned and it sounds like it's trying to start as it'll chug and shake but usually gives up. It'll do this a couple of times but then start perfectly.

It's only started doing it in the hot weather so is that anything to do with it or coincidence?

Ideas anyone?

Reply to
tollermccallum

fuel evaporation?

Reply to
Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales

What Escort is this then? The old CVH Carbed engined ones were all like this- its just how they are, but if set up properly and learnt hot start procedure you can get them to start reasonably happily when hot.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

I wonder whether neat fuel is settling in the inlet manifold causing it to be massively over-rich when restarted. I has a car like this once and the manufacturer had fitted a little drain pipe from the bottom of the inlet manifold to let fuel run away. If it got blocked, the engine was a cow to restart.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

It's a 98 1.6 zetec 16v. Had it over 2 years now and this si the first time it's happened. I'll check the inlet manifold thing.

Reply to
tollermccallum