1996 Ford Taurus

I recently bought a 1996 Ford Taurus that had been sitting in a Lot for a while. I was backing out of my driveway and when I went to put it into drive, it didnít go foward. Itís not switching gears.
Everything sounds normal. I was just wondering if there was an easy fix to this problem. Thanks.
‚úĖ
Possible linkage problem?? Rusty? Worse case scenario: transmission
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
snipped-for-privacy@AutoForumz.com says...

Does it go backwards, but not forwards? First, double-check the trans fluid level. Also, the neutral-saftey switch (or whatever it's called now) could be bad. Otherwise, you could have a damaged forward clutch, which is the weak point of the Taurus's transmission.
-- If there is a no_junk in my address, please REMOVE it before replying! All junk mail senders will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law!! http://home.att.net/~andyross
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
could also be a broken shift cable