1996 Taurus SHO Cam Failure

When the Taurus SHO has a cam failure, what is typical extent of damage? I assume that timing is off and valves hit pistons, possibly breaking camshaft, bending valves, etc. Is there typically head damage as well? If
the engine usually repairable without changing pistons, rods, or crank?
I have seen a few SHO's on E-bay which have a failed cam and they go pretty cheap, but I don't have a clue what it could cost to repair the engine or replace it.
Any input anyone could provide would be very helpful!
Thanks, Steve
The engine parts for the Taurus are expensive:
http://www.v8sho.com/SHO/ReplacementEngineOptions.htm
And http://www.v8sho.com to learn more.
Jeff

sdf wrote: