1993 Taurus SHO

Ok, what causes the brake light to come on. I'm looking for all possible reasons, I have an inpection due and I've got to figure this out before I pull the bulb out of the dash.

I've checked fluid level, brake switch, fuses, interesting enough, the light goes out if you put on the high beams! Anyone have any ideas at all?

Reply to
Panther

The brake fluid level switch and the parking brake switch are simply switches to ground to turn the indicator lamp on. When the high beams are off, that circuit is also a ground (Ford uses the high beam circuit as a ground for fog lamp relays so that the fog lamps are not on with the high beams). I would suspect that you have a short between one of the brake circuits and the high beam circuit. Most likely the parking brake switch since they wires are so close near your left foot.

Reply to
Michael O

I did indeed find a short on the one of the brake switch wires. I ended up running a new wire from the fuse box to the switch. I had to do this when the car refuse to come out of park!!! I know there are a couple of more problems with the circuits, I'm working on those now as well. There are lights on when you shut off the car, but they are not the auto lights, nor is the light switch turned on. If I pull the fuse for the flash to pass, the lights go out. I also replaced the multifunction switch which I thought was causing some of my problems. After replaced the switch and the wire I found that my brake warning light went out and the car would come out of park. So I still have to find out what is causing the lights to stay on for the flash to pass. What I really need is a full electrical schematic. So far I've only been able to find partials like the ones listed in the back of the Haynes Taurus manual.

Reply to
Panther