2010 Taurus SHO

Looks like an interesting vehicle with a twin turbo V6 cranking out 360HP, but a 4DR sedan isn't on our wish list. Still, I'd like to drive one!

Dick

Reply to
Dick R.

How bout a 2011 Mustang with Ecoboost? Or a GT with the new Coyote motor?

Reply to
GILL

test drive time.

why go with turbos? seems like supercharger would be cheaper, more reliable

Reply to
habitoid

I agree. A Roots or twin screw blower would have zero lag and generate very good low end torque. Plus they are stone cold reliable and much less expensive to repair, if needed.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Simple. "Twin turbo" sounds a lot better in the marketing materials than "blower."

Jeez, I gotta explain everything?

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Heck, I wouldn't even tell them it had a blower. Maybe call it the "Breath Right" option package. Instead of blower related emblems just put a big replica of a Breath Right strip extending across the hood from fender to fender.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Or a picture of Monica Lewinski?

Reply to
Jim Warman

Actually a properly sized turbo set up shouldn't really have any lag... so with twins I would think there really wouldn't be any noticeable lag. I've driven some turbo'd 4.0L V6 Stangs and they are simply amazing... and with no noticeable lag..

Reply to
John S.

From what I have seen with turbos, to reduce lag to very low levels there needs to be plenty of exhaust flow. The rub to this, IMO, is this means that you need a larger displacement engine and therefore it can be designed to deliver performance without the need for forced induction. The other way to reduce turbo lag is to use sequential turbos but that just seems too complicated. Turbos do deliver the power though and they take very little power doing it.

A twin screw blower, and to a lesser extent Roots blower, will make any size engine feel like it has 2-3 times the torque/hp all the way from idle to redline. The blower and intercooler can be incorporated into the intake setup and are very compact. There is no plumbing necessary for air flow, oiling, cooling for bearings etc. just what is needed for heat dissipation part of the intercooler. Also, a twin screw will typically outlast the engine so they are very reliable.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Reply to
Michael Johnson

I wonder if perhaps it had to do with "packaging"... twin screw basically has to go on top of the motor, while you can get much more creative with the placement of a turbo... Perhaps there simply wasn't room on top? I haven't looked at the new Taurus... but I know some one who will be getting a SHO later this year... i will have to check it out! ;)

Reply to
John S.

Must weigh a LOT, cannot find the weight anywhere

bet this piggy is over 5,000 lbs

making that 350 HP twin turbo seem like 150 HP

Reply to
habitoid

I assume that this Taurus, like earlier ones, has a transverse-mounted V6. If so, is the turbo only on the front exhaust bank -- with resulting asymmetric back-pressure? If the turbo is downstream of both banks, then the plumbing must be really bent, eh? Has anybody seen pictures of the underside, to see the exhaust setup?

Reply to
Bob Willard

Damn... they had one at Barber during the Mustang 45th event and I didn't think to take a closer look...

found this... not sure if it helps...

John S.

Hope it is a newer SVO! :)

Reply to
NicholaD

Not sure but food for thought. S/C takes hp to make hp. Also maybe it interferes with the new fuel direct injection.

Reply to
NicholaD

Motortrend has the 2010 Taurus listed at 3930 pounds:

So I would think it would be well under 5000. Also has a 6 speed which should help? (low first gear?). We just picked up a new Acadia a couple months ago. 288HP in that big thing, (with a 6 speed) and much to my surprise it actually moves a lot better than I would have thought...

My question is just how far can you push an Eco Boost? ;)

Reply to
John S.

Going by the Mustang kits, I think they could fit them under a hood fairly easily. Twin turbos take a lot of plumbing and add a lot of complexity to manufacturing which in turn adds to cost. The up side of turbos is they take almost no horsepower to make boost where a supercharger does. I am glad that Ford is putting a good effort into the Taurus because it is vital, IMO, that they have a top selling family sedan.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

That would be interesting to see, and more fun to compete at auto-cross races.

Reply to
GILL

With a name like "EcoBoost" you gotta figure that has something to do with it. Even the import crowd knows how to squeeze all they can from such puny dimensions. Free boost combined with a reliable passive device such as an intercooler mounted forward should attract plenty of young hotrodders.

Reply to
GILL