MasterBlaster

From: snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (KENNETH=A0MCABEE)

What drew me to the problem is that when I take my foot off the brake after stopping hard you can hear a clunking noise and feel the wheel pop. This bar is moving forward during hard braking and the noise is it popping back into place when the pressure is taking off it. Any ideas?

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D hi kenneth - might might perfect sense if you approach the problem from this view point.

on rear wheel drive, the stress of transferring power is handled by the rear suspension. it is beefed up as compared to a front wheel drive.

on a front wheel drive, the steering pieces have to take the abuse of the power transfer and when you throw the power of the SHO into the picture, those parts really get stress.

can you imagine how much stress is placed on those pieces on a hard takeoff. the front suspension has to hold the wheels in alignment as well as not flex from the torque. the pieces are being pushed together from the acceleration and the front wheels are wanting to spread apart.

when you brake, it is just the opposite. the front wheels want to collapse together and the opposite stress is placed on those same pieces.

hence - this is why the inner tie rods go out first on front wheel drives.

so the question is this. how many miles of starting and stopping can a front wheel take before showing signs of what you described.

now, if you go back and read what you wrote, it may make a lot of sense.

best of luck on your repair.

~ curtis

knowledge is power - growing old is mandatory - growing wise is optional = "Many more men die with prostate cancer than of it. Growing old is invariably fatal. Prostate cancer is only sometimes so."

c palmer