1997 Taurus Electrical Problem

I know very little about cars, but my father has a 97 Taurus whose battery keeps dying because the interior dome light stays on all the time. The dashboard switch (instrument panel dimmer/dome light on/off) does not shut the dome light off. I looked under the hood for the fuse that might cut the power to it, but could not find one. Also, the DRL were doing the same thing -- not going off when the ignition was shut off; my elderly dad took the car to his neighborhood mechanic who disconnected them, which solved the problem for a while. But now we have this dome light problem. Any suggestions?

Reply to
DC Boy

Have the dome light switch replaced by the neighborhood mechanic. Pulling the fuse might disable other necessary lighting features. If really hard up, just pull the light bulb out of the dome light fixture until it can be fixed properly and maybe leave a flashlight in the vehicle for your father.

Reply to
sleepdog

Spray some WD-40 into all the door latches, then open and close the doors vigorously ten or 15 times. The switch for the dome lights is inside the door.

Common problem.

Reply to
j.dagastino