1994 Mercury Grand Marquis Power Window Problem

This morning I rolled down my driver's window and now it won't roll back up. It is only a problem with this window. I stripped everything off the door to inspect it further and it seems to still try to function when I push the button down, but does nothing when I try to roll it back up. I bought a new window lift motor to see if that was the problem. When I plugged it in (did not fully install it) to see what happened the motor turned when I pushed the button down and did nothing when I pushed it up. I am assuming that this motor is supposed to be reversible, so I am also assuming that this means the problem is definitely related to pushing the button up. Has anyone experienced this problem before? Does anyone have any idea what I might need to check/replace? I am guessing the original lift motor is ok, so I don't know what to do now...

Reply to
sterlingsmith

Yep.. the switch is dirty. Buy some contact cleaner and spray it around the switch, may work. If not.. then remove the switch assy from connector assy... then, on a table, CAREFULLY open the switch housing - detent clips around outside of housing. I say care because the internal parts will then be loose so you must maintain it upright. You'll easily see the dirt and gunk.

Next option, go to a scrapyard, better yet.. get the other switch FIRST before trying to open and clean the original.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I took an air duster to it and cleaned it up really well. The window rolled up halfway, but struggled the whole way. I tried to open the switch housing as you mentioned and couldn't get it. I went to the Ford dealer and ordered a new one this morning. Hopefully that does it.

Backyard Mechanic wrote:

Reply to
sterlingsmith

Then you have other issues, as well. you may end up needing that second motor.. or the tracking may be binding and/or need appropriate lube

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

what kind of lube would you put on something like that?

Backyard Mechanic wrote:

Reply to
sterlingsmith

White lube on the regulator assembly and spray silicone lube down the felt run channels.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

I have a similar problem, but with a "Mystique" (sp). I replaced the switch with one from the junk yard and still does the same thing. one way to get it to come up is to disconnect the 2 connectors from the switch, wait a few seconds, reconnect and it works. but if I do it again I have to go through the same steps all over. any ideas. TIA

Reply to
Jose Ponce