1999 Taurus 24V DOHC - Speedometer failure- VSS replacement

Looking for advice on replacing the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) on my 99 Taurus. Can anyone enlighten me? The local Ford dealer wants an arm and a leg to diagnose and
replace the VSS. Have researched and am pretty sure the problem is with the VSS or the wiring. (speedometer at zero, no shift until 4000 rpm, rough shifting, "OD Off "light flashing, "service engine soon" light ).
Unfortunately, my research on the newsgroup also indicates that, on a 99 Taurus with a 24V DOHC engine, the VSS and connector are difficult to reach and remove. I've located it on my Taurus and see why.
Does anyone have any advice on removing the VSS. I've heard that it could be seized into the transmission housing, and that the rear of the subframe and exhaust system might have to be lowered to get it out.
1. Would removing the intake manifold, as when changing the rear plugs, provide access from the top of the engine?
2. What sort of connector is used for the wiring, just a "push on", or threaded? How many pins?
3. If the subframe has to be lowered, are there any suggestions how a home mechanic can accomplish?
4. If the subframe has to be lowered, will the exhaust system have to be disturbed?
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers
Bob
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:
<snipped>
I think you have to remove the dual catalytic y-pipe to get to the VSS. If you get into it make sure the circuit is good before buying a new VSS. I'm sure there is a fair amount of rust and new fasteners will be in order.
What's an arm and a leg in your book? Probably a four hour job or less for an A-mechanic to pull the exhaust apart and test the circut/component. Figure a weekend on your own if it's your first time pulling y-pipes, but not impossible. What's your time worth? Good luck.

Thanks. Doesn't sound like a fun job. There is a lot of rust on the exhaust bolts. Perhaps lowering the sub frame is the answer. Don't want to disturb the O2 sensors. I'll have to have another look at it. Great design Ford!
Cheers
Bob
Has anyone else out there ever changed out a VSS on a 1999 Taurus with Duratec engine?
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

from up top. You have to unhook the exhaust from the Y-pipe, drop the cradle, and reach over the trans to get to it. You'll have to remove a heat shroud (foil covered fiberglas) and kinda feel your way around. There is a bolt with a 10mm head next to the sensor that has to be removed, then it "should" pull right out. I've run in to some 1997-98s where the VSS was really stuck in place. The trans needed to be removed to extract them, due to a little bit of corrosion. Good luck.
Tom Adkins wrote:

Thanks Tom,
It's great to hear from someone who has done the job, Seems a shame that one has to go to such trouble just to repair a speedometer. No wonder my "oil change, lube job and tire changing" mechanic didn't want to touch it. Much appreciate your post.
Cheers
Bob
I just replaced the VSS on my 99 Taurus a few months ago. You're right that it's no fun doing it. However, I've managed to work it from up top (I'm a small guy and have small hands though)... Much easier. For the heat shield, I just bent it out of the way.... It took about 1 hr to get it replaced.

Stanav wrote:

motor. If you have the 3.0 pushrod motor it is an easier job and can be done from the top.
Tom Adkins wrote:

Oops, I rechecked and it IS the DOHC. Senior moment ;)
Thanks for the interest and info guys. I finally went to my local mechanic who did a 2.7 hour job. He removed the catalytic converters and Y pipe. Hard part was disconnecting the O2 sensors. Access from below was then reasonable. The VSS was not corroded and came out easily. VSS replaced and exhaust reinstalled.
(It's important to get the proper VSS - depends on the type of speedometer you have, digital or analog, and the type of transmission -mine was the expensive one $83cdn with tax)
Codes were deleted and speedometer and transmission now work properly. Bad news is that halfway home the "service engine soon" came on again. Back to mechanic this morning. Hope it's not an O2 sensor problem.
Cheers
Bob
It was an O2 sensor but the chief mechanic replaced it at no cost. He wasn't happy with the mechanic who did the work. Those O2 sensors are pretty fragile and I think if I were to do the job again I'd consider cutting a hole in the floor to get to the VSS.
Cheers
Bob