98 Ford Escort ZX2 OBD-II code 455

Can anyone suggest what might be responsible for generating this code? My Haynes doesn't give much info on this one.

Reply to
bbay david

See here:

Sharon K. Cooke

Vapor leak in the evap system. It keeps the gas fumes from escaping into the atmosphere, very important in some states for inspection to pass. From what I've read on the subject... on Ford vehicles engine vacuum is used to detect leaks in the evap plumbing. The PCM directs the vacuum solenoid to pull a certain amount of vacuum and it must be held for a predetermined amount of time, or else fails. Two failures sets the code and engine light on. Gross leak is not good.

Check your gas cap is on tight. Otherwise, check the evap lines for cracks, damage, etc. Evap is very tough to diagnose properly on your own, could be any one of a number of components in the system, including the gas tank, fuel filter seal, canister purge valve, charcoal canister, lines, etc. Might be worth a trip to the dealer or shop.

Reply to
sleepdog

The evap canister on a 98 Escort is in the left rear wheel well behind the tire, the canister assembly has a vent valve, check it for bugs and other debris that would keep it from fully closing.

Most of the P0455s I see are because of this, YMMV.

Good luck, the canister and attached valve is no longer sold by Ford.

Reply to
aarcuda69062