2001 Escort trans servicing question.

Could anyone identify which are which - pressure and return lines? Also, in regards to accessability would it be easier to remove the line from the
trans or the cooler when performing a flush?
A wee bit of background...My sister states that her trans slips/delays going into gear from park. I've been unable to verify this concern but inspection of the fluid (not burnt but noticably well used) shows it could well use a service. I called around to some major trans shops to price a power-flush ($99-$187; as expected since I used to be in the business) but what surprised me is the responce I received from one. He stated that this particular trans would benifit more from just adding a high quality trans conditioner/additive such as those from BG. Reasoning was given that this trans is so under-built and tempermental that disloging any particles during a power-flush is likely to cause more problems (stuck TV, etc.) than good. I am highly skeptical of this view. In eight years of servicing and rebuilding Mitsubishi transmissions I never considered flushing a trans a liability.
Any opinions on this along with IDing of the lines would be much apreciated.
Regards, Terry

Then you would know that after a fairly spirited drive, the 'pressure line' would be warmer than the return line, right?

I dunno about that... but I would think the filter would need changed, as well.
And I had good luck with the Lucas additive.
you pay..DEAL with it!

I can agree with that if we are only talking a "few" degrees which is not always that perceptable. Remember, we are talking a stock in-radiator cooler. In my experience they cool just enough to take the edge off the temp, in cold weather climates they do more to keep the trans "up" to operating temps.

Goes without saying. ;-)

Yeah, the fella mentioned an additive other than BG and stated it was more of a commercial than retail product but for the life of me I can't recall the brand. LubeGuard maybe, although that is pretty much as prolific as Lucas.
Thanks for the reply. Terry
Thanks for all the input Steve.
I've not looked closely at her vehicle yet but being a FWD I'm sure it has rubber trans lines. And your suggestion of pinching a line (sometimes the simplest options are overlooked) sounds quite viable when judiciously applied.
Also, if she doesn't have a factory cooler I might suggest we install a small one. Minimal cost for extra protection seeing as she is for some strange reason in love with this vehicle.
Cheers! Terry

. . ============Terry wrote:

try this.........
http://www.spxfiltran.com/bulletins/toledo/Default.asp
with 8 years of servicing and rebuilding transmissions............ you should have been able to find it on yer own..
<g>
any whoooo...... I'm not a big fan of flushing high milieage trannies and running the risk of a BB size chunk of crud dislodging from a crevice and finding it's way up between a valve land and the groove that the valve has machined into the bore after stroking for 4 years, 80,000 miles, at rate faster than the human eye can detect. Maybe even getting up into the solenoids fine screen and slowly reeking havok untill 6-8 months down the road.........
oh well........
it's YOUR sisters car.....
google is yer friend.....
~:~ MarshMonster ~sips his mushroom tea......~ ~:~