2002 Expy

Hello all,

My wife's 02 Expedition has 28,000 miles, it has the big engine, it uses about a quart of oil per 1k miles. When it sets overnight and started a big, big puff of white smoke comes out the exaust. I guess my question is, is this my oil burning problem? It does not smoke after the initial start up, that I have seen.

bamp

Reply to
bamp

Not familiar with your engine, but what you are describing is normal. Water (along with carbon dioxide) is a product of combustion. It leaves the engine as invisible steam, but until the exhaust system warms up, it condenses along the way, turning into white mist. For an obvious reason this is much more noticeable in the winter. Have you looked for leaks?

Reply to
Happy Traveler

I think it's the 5.4 L, and this is not the mist you see on a cold day, it's white smoke. It drifts across the yard for several feet before it dissipates. There is no evidence of a leak on the carport floor, I've crawled under it and can't see anything leaking. The dealership has checked it for leaks also.

I talked to the dealership today and he told me to bring it in for an oil loss assemnent, which I will do as soon as possible.

bamp

Reply to
bamp

What you describe is characteristic of worn or failed valve seals. You should talk to your dealer about this but, I do not believe the amount of oil consumption is considered abnormal by Ford even if it is not common. As long as the oil level is properly maintained, this is not normally a detrimental problem to the engine. I suggest reporting it to the dealer to be checked because the report will be on file in the event of a catastrophic failure within a reasonable period beyond the warranty period.

Reply to
lugnut

That's what I wanted to know.

Thank you very much.