2002 Taurus 'Blower Motor Resistor" Diagnosis and replacement?

Threaded View

The Car:   2002 FORD TAURUS
THE ENGINE It's thje V-6 one with the OHV listed
Their are 3 different motors offered for the Taturus that year and I
think mine is the more rare and lowest HP iif that matters in
selecting/finding the correct part number?

Problem:All the sudden, heat or air, the blower speed will only work
on HIGH. No other position will blow any air at all.

I was told to replace the Resistor back, I got confushed and bought
and replaced the #1 iterm below which luckly wasn't expensive. Anyway
that's the problem I have.

After replacing the Low-low-Med-Med-High Switch with electrical
contacts "Fan Switch #Duralast # SW3287" bought from AutoZone"

THEN replaced #3 Relay swittch (Relay #3 DURALAST # 19273) from
AutoZone"

The only thing left is the 'Blower Motor Resister" which is located at
the firewall directly past the Glove Box requiring the Box be removed.

So what I've already replaced is this...

1. "Fan Switch #Duralast # SW3287" bought from AutoZone"
2. "Relay #3  DURALAST # 19273" again from AutoZone"

Of course I had to buy this U-shaped things to pop-out the radio/hvac
panel which costs $4.99...

From "Advance Auto Parts Store"
BWD Blower Motor Resistor
Part No. RU1096      $14.59

or

From "Autozone"
Blower Motor Resistor
Duralast / Blower Motor Resistor
Part Number :  JA1536
$19.99

Which is a Superior Part?
Can someone give me some tips or advance on how to replace this
resistor?

ALSO When searching the Internet the problem is people call this
part/device by many different names, up to 6 different names/titles
and that just confuses the heck out of me.

Anyway, throw me a bone if ya can,
thankls

Re: 2002 Taurus 'Blower Motor Resistor" Diagnosis and replacement?

On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 14:00:10 -0500, Please Help Me Please

 Most likely part for that problem IS the resistor - but being a FORD
it could also be a burned connector in the blower circuit.

Re: 2002 Taurus 'Blower Motor Resistor" Diagnosis and replacement?

On Mar 1, 2:00=A0pm, Please Help Me Please

That sounds like the blower motor resistor pack at fault.

How about buying the blower motor resistor pack at the Ford dealer.  I
have been pleasantly suprised at their prices and friendlyness.  On my
2003 Taurus I replaced the resistors and then a couple of weeks later
had to replace the blower motor; all through the glove compartment in
2007.  Perhaps the real issue with my car is when the panel-cowl
outside the windshield warps, rain water got in the heater reisistor
and blower area.  So I had the Ford dealer install their retro fit kit
that drained the rain water differently.

Perhaps a 1/4" socket set and a work light would be nice, I do not
think any other tools are needed.  Relax, think of replacing the
resistor pack only as a practice run ... of when you will be replacing
the blower motor.

Re: 2002 Taurus 'Blower Motor Resistor" Diagnosis and replacement?

On Mar 1, 2:00 pm, Please Help Me Please

That sounds like the blower motor resistor pack at fault.

Looks like MSRP on the blower resistor is only $21.58. Not bad for OEM.

http://www.teamfordparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator&siteid=214270&chapter=&sectionids=9,0&groupid=10074&subgroupid=20020&componentid=61538&make=10&model=Taurus&year=2003&catalogid=1&displayCatalogid=0

WAS "Now LOOK HERE"-->> Re: 2002 Taurus 'Blower Motor Resistor" Diagnosis and replacement?

SORRY I didn't post sooner but the EXACT fix was the 'Blower Motor
Resistor" located under and behind the glove box.

I couldn't personally do the repair due to a few physical disabilities
but a close relative spent  about 10 minutes to replace the part.
That was on Saturday March 6th.

That mad the repair cost under $20. Not to shabby

I love setting AC/Heat on something other than Nuclear High or else.

This NG is unique in giving correct answers and very kittle spam.

TOO ALL 3 who ofered me help, thanks..

Site Timeline