2002 Taurus O2 sensor

Any knowlegeable Ford guys out there know anything about the different calibrations of O2 sensors on a 2002 4 cam 3 liter 2002 Taurus??

I have ordered the OEM O2 sensor from the local Ford dealer. To get the right one they needed the serial number because they say there are several different part numbers with different "calibrations" - matched to the ECU.

I know wide band sensors often had calibration resistors in the connector. But the Taurus has a "normal" 4 wire sensor. Anyone know what "calibration" is involved? The part is only costing me $85, a generic direct fit is about $50 - $60, but as nasty as they can be to replace I figured it wasn't worth taking the chance on installing the generic unit - particularly since this vehicle HAS to run and pass all the monitors to pass the revised Ontario Drive-Clean inspection.

Reply to
clare

That's nonsense. They need the VIN to look up any part, cuz that's how their computer based parts system works. The really young parts counter people can't even get you an oil filter without your VIN.

GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Well - it ends up they got the wrong calibration - it had a blue connector instead of green and it would not fit. They re-ordered and got the right one -there are apparently 3 different sensors for the 3 liter duratech Taurus - and they are NOT interchangeable.

Reply to
clare

By the way, the parts guy is my age - just a couple years from retirement and been a ford parts man for over 40 years. The NORMAL situation is there is a production change at a particualr VIN - so before the break is one part, after the break is a different part. Not on the sensors. There is a "grid" or database, and certain serial numbers use one, while others in the same range use a different one.

Reply to
clare

"Calibration" must mean something different where you live. The wrong part is the wrong part, glad they got you the right one.

Of course there are three different oxygen sensors...all OBII V engines have three and some have four. They usually have different connectors so you can't put them in the wrong spot.

GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

You still do not understand. There are four O2 sensors on a Duratech Taurus. There are 3 or 4 DIFFERENT Bank1 #1, Bank2#1, bank1 #2 and bank 2#2 sensors. They are different for different engine calibrations. The different engine calibrations have something to do with the market they are sold into. Phoenix cars get a different calibration than Death Valley cars perhaps, and the calibration may be different for different equipment packages. At any rate, the different calibrations use different O2 sensors - and they get different connectors to make sure the wrong one cannot be installed by mistake.

ALL 4 connectors on a given car are the same colour.

I asked for information from "any knowlwdgeable ford guys out there". Sorry, you are not one of them. I've been a mechanic since 1971, but I'm not up on Fords. Spent most of my wrenching years on imports - Toyotas in particular.

Reply to
clare

I worked on Fords almost every day for ten years, in modern times, not in the 70's or 80's.

There's no "calibration"s for any OBD II cars of any make for different markets in the US. Parts guys make up BS like that all the time.

There may be different B1S1 etc part #'s depending on production date, but not for different places in the country.

GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

California emissions compliant cars are different. NY & NJ also require CA spec. cars to be sold there that I'm sure of. That's where the calibrations come into play, CA spec & 49 state spec. . Your mileage may vary........

Reply to
repairman54