2004 Explorer V/8

When I put the Explorer in reverse it takes some time to go into reverse (maybe 2 seconds). If I take my foot off of the brake it goes right in but with a rather big clunking sound and a lurch. It seems as though (and I may
be imagining it) that the RPM's increase when I take my foot off of the brake. I am taking back to the dealer but wanted to get an opinion from the folks here.
I had an old dodge automatic that used to do that in all gears (D,D1,D2,R) because I kept the RPMs high so it wouldn't stall. It had an old holly 1920 model carb on it which were notoriously sloppy, even after a rebuild. Maybe your RPMs are too high.
Matt
trans fluid is low

Not low, just the wrong kind. Ford f'd up.

rickheel wrote:

http://forums.carreview.com/showthread.php?t 20
All you need to know.
Bob
Bob, you sir, are the man! I am printing out the article and taking it to the dealer on Monday.
rickheel wrote:

Good luck. Want do you want to bet they know all about it? But until its official, they will deny it up and down the block. I had that happen before. The better prepared you are, the harder it is for them to back down. Or conveniently NOT tell you what they know. This is especially true in what they consider "non safety" related recalls. Now, if you had a 2000 F150..........
Bob
Bob
-
Well, I printed the information and sent them a very nasty email telling them I thought they had screwed us (we bought the unit used with 20k miles on it). I told them they should have known about it and corrected the problem before selling it to us and I was going to tell my story to everyone I could tell. I got a phone call 5 minutes later from the salesman. He said he was not aware of the problem. I told him he was full of &$%$. I told him I wanted my car fixed and if not, I wanted my money back and I was going to a lawyer. I took the unit in on Monday and the service guy comes out and says they will take it in and see what the problem is. I told him he knew what the problem is and that I wanted the solenoid replaced. He said they ran out of them "last week". I told him we bought the unit two weeks ago. You should have seen the look on his face. I told him he needed to give me something to drive and I wanted the problem corrected. He said he wanted to check with his service guy. He came back out and told me it was OK to drive and that they would have to order the part. I told him I wanted a letter from the dealer saying I did not want to drive the unit and if the tranny went out at ANY time that the dealer would replace it at their cost. He put me in a rental. Got the unit back yesterday with a new solenoid and he also corrected another recall concerning an additive to the tranny fluid. The unit runs like new. I still plan on sending the general manager of Sheehy and Ford Motors a letter detailing what went on. If the tranny goes out at an early age I feel I will have more ammunition to go to battle with them. Bastards.

The problem is, how do you define "early"? Any failure after the normal warranty has expired would probably be argued not to be "early". Or Ford might have an extended service bulletin forever.
My '96 Mustang had an intake manifold replaced at 106,000 miles because of a service bulletin, but the radiator shop that had it didn't know anything about it, only that they had repalced a lot of them. That made me think that there might be some bulletin. I called the selling dealer and he verified that there was a bulletin, and I could get it fixed for free. The dealer in the city where I was when it broke knew nothing about it, and couldn't find it listed. I brought in a listing from http://www.alldata.com/recalls/ to help him find it.
--
---