2004 Ford Escape Drive Train

Page 2 of 2
Dave wrote:

Go read http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m3012/6_180/63565216/p4/article.jhtml?term I used to think like you, but after reading the above article I believe that in 4x4 mode, extra force is exerted, but it is still not a solid lock.
From the article -
"A second mode is also available. For off-road or "get-unstuck" use, the driver may press a "4x4 On" button on the dash of the Tribute, or turn a switch on the Escape. Each sends an electrical current to an electromagnetic coil adjacent to the RBC. This engages a small multi-plate pilot clutch in the RBC unit, which in turn applies the main clutch though a ball-ramp thrust-amplification device. The drive torque available in this mode is nearly seven times greater than the maximum torque available in the on-demand mode."
Ed

Well, with all due respect to Automotive Journalism and their descriptions of systems and the vehicles themselves, they know Jack!
I can quote a prominant 'Journalist' by the Name of Paul Glover in one of our National Newspapers writing that the "Escape is a rebadged Mazda Tribute". I attempted to point out that he was wrong and the only external things they share are the roof, front passenger and driver glass and windscreen and rear mirrors.. I did concede that underneath they are the same. I received a reply advising that I was wrong and that I should look at one..... I own one and I should know the difference! So this little experience has taught me that when a motoring journalist writes something, it's generally not quite correct!
As an aside I have to agree that the ESCAPE/TRIBUTE cousins have to be one of the best passenger SUV's out there! Now if only Ford could persuade Land Rover to ditch the current Freelander and base the next one on the Escape/Tribute - they'd actually have a nice car!
Cheers Dave.

http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m3012/6_180/63565216/p4/article.jhtml?ter m> >

that in

I question not only the journalists' descriptions of technical features, but the credibility of their driving tests too. Please see the handling description for the 2002 Escape at http://www.newcarreviews.com/2002_ford_escape.html The guy states that the Escape has *understeer* handling characteristics. Oh, really ;-) If the Escape handles with understeer, then it would not merely handle like a sedan (slides controllably before it rolls over) but like a good sports car. AFAIK, generally only sports cars posess understeer handling characteristics. Those sports car models that are certain to have it are mid/rear engine with rear wheel drive. This is not to say that other vehicles such as Corvettes and Mercedes don't have it, but they are less common. And quite to the contrary of what was stated, front wheel drive *sedans* having understeer characteristics are a very uncommon exception to the rule.
Understeer is common to almost all front wheel drive autos while over steer is common to rear wheel drive autos. With Front wheel drive, over steer can be simulated by pulling up sharply on the hand brake as one enters a turn. Rally drivers have been doing this for years.
--
R. J. Talley
Teacher/James Madison Fellow

steer
can
But I remember the old MiniCoopers were used for road racing. They had notorious oversteer characteristics. Do they still? Weren't they the first front wheel drive cars?
They were far from the first but they were mass produced like none before had been. I drove a couple of Coopers back in 70 and 71 and I don't remember them over steering without handbrake input. They had torque steer just as is common to all FWD cars and IIRC, they were almost impossible to spin out on dry pavement.
--
R. J. Talley
Teacher/James Madison Fellow
wrote in message

diverts
than
but
because
it off.

that of a

http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m3012/6_180/63565216/p4/article.jhtml?ter m>
that in

driver
on the

adjacent to

which in

device. The

maximum
Ed, it's definitely *not* a solid lock; based on the dry pavement creeping U-turn that I described in my earlier reply in this thread to JohhnnyCab. And that's not a good thing.