87 Tempo Potentiometer?

Can anybody tell me if the Throttle Position Sensor and the Potentiometer are one and the same part? If not then where is the Potentiometer located and how is it related to the TPS. Also is it easy
to replace? Thanks
A potentiometer is just a variable resistor of sorts, your fuel guage is a potentiometer, a MAF sensor is a potentiometor and your TPS is a potentiometer. The TPS is easy to replace but what is the problem and why are you looking for "The Potentiometer"?
If you provide more info we may be able to help you with your problem.
Scott.

Thomas,
As far as the fuel guage is concerned, the interface you see on the dash is not a potentiometer, however the actual measuring device in the tank as part of the fuel pump assy is a potentiometer isn't it? This is what I was referring to. Some MAF sensors such as the VK commadore utilises, which has a flap pushed open by the rate of air flow, is the style I was referring to, not the hot wire type. That is a potentiometer isn't it? I am not trying to be a smart arse but if I am still wrong I would like to know and thought I would clear up what I was trying to say.
Thank you, Scott.

" A potentiometer is just a variable resistor of sorts, your fuel guage is a potentiometer, a MAF sensor is a potentiometor and your TPS is a potentiometer. The TPS is easy to replace but what is the problem and why are you looking for "The Potentiometer"?
If you provide more info we may be able to help you with your problem.
Scott."
Your above post: You called the fuel gauge a potentiometer." your fuel guage is a potentiometer" You did not refer to the control device. I pointed out to you that it is controlled by a potentiometer. You called a MAF a potentiometer, "a MAF sensor is a potentiometor" I again pointed out that some flow meters have them as the signal device, but is not one. I think it should be clear where you were wrong.
I had my Tempo in the shop because it wouldn't idle right and would stall at traffic lights. I was charged for a TPS ( $60.00 labor & Parts) and for a potentiometer ($59.80 labor & parts) . With putting it on the test machine and road testing it, the whole job came out to $228.00. My son looked at my repair receipt and told me that they charged me for the same part twice. He said he was pretty sure that the TPS and the potentiometer were the same part. I called an Auto parts store and the guy said the potentiometer is what the TPS used to be called. Was I given the shaft here?
Do the math.

Yeah, it sounds that way donnie, Ask the mechanics at the shop to explain the bill you recieved and if you don't feel satisfied with the response, don't go back. It definately sounds as though they are trying to pull a shifty.
Scott.

The throttle position sensor is a potentiometer, so the relation is one in the same. It is located on the throttle plate assembly.