93 Town Car Torque Converter Trans Oil Change hard to Fill Converter, Why?

Just replaced the Trans Oil and filter and also drained the Torque Converter. It seemed like the torque converter just didn't want to fill. I followed the Haynes manual and let
it high idle for a while and it still didn't want to fill. So I moved it through the gears and it seemed to take a little but not much. After about 30min of this trying the series over and over and one one occasion just before the converter starting taking more oil smelling burned oil and a little smoke from the fill tube it finally took. I was wondering if there is anyone out there who can tell me what happened so I'll know what to do next time? This time I almost felt like I wasn't going to get the trans running again. It is shifting great now and fixed the chattering that I was having around 35-40mph. The old oil looked black and had been setting in the car unused for 2 years. The car has 141K miles with the AODE trans. Also, If you know what would cause it to down shift on the interstate would be great too. I haven't experianced it yet with the oil changed but I did before the oil change. This car had been idle for 2 years with a bad oil pump!
Thanks in Advance Skip

Likely the MLPS which can make the tranny do lots of wierd stuff.
Take a peek at: http://www.markviii.org/htdocs/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum !&topic_idQ973&mesg_idQ973&page When mine went out, it was like I'd shifted to neutral while traveling 30-70 mph. It's external to the trans, not too hard to replace.
Puddin'
"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!" -Friedrich Schiller