94 Escort LX Clutch Replacement Cost?

At 128K miles, the original clutch in our 94 Escort LX 1.9L 5 Speed is finally starting to show signs that It's Time. Intermittent moderate slipping is evident on hard acceleration at highway speeds from say 60 to 75
in fifth when engine RPM hits about 4K, although it still engages smoothly and is not slipping when driven gently.
What can I expect to have to shell out for a clutch job at a decent indy shop in my area (SE Connecticut)? The car is otherwise running very solid for its age and mileage.
Chris Bowne Stonington, CT
Chris Bowne wrote:

I had a clutch replaced in a 93 escort in 2003 by a Firestone affiliate. $600 incl taxes etc. Included clutch, pressure plate and thrust bearing.
The car is otherwise running very solid

They are virtually indestructible. Got rid of mine after the air failed (compressor seized). Too expensive to fix but ran fine otherwise. You need air in Tennessee.
JP
--
JP White
mailto: snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net
Chris Bowne wrote:

My clutch went out at 170k, I did a lot of highway driving so it didn't get that much use vs the miles I did. Eventually traded it at 194k a few years later. Other than routine maintenance, only a few items needed repairing during the 7 years I owned it the clutch being the most expensive.
I had the timing belt replaced at 120k (meant to be every 60k). It's a non-interference engine, but I still didn't want to get stranded. I took Firestones advice and replaced the water pump at the same time since the belt drives the pump. If you do all the routine maintenance it should never let you down. I NEVER got stranded on the side of the road in the 7 years I had it.
My air is still ice

Yes, as long as kept the A/C switched off it ran just fine. With the a/c switched on the drag from the seized compressor was enough to stall the engine.

That's what I used it for.