Volvo 440 clutch replacement

Anyone know how difficult it it to replace the clutch in a Volvo 440? Is it an owner type job or best left to the garage?

Reply to
<bluefrog

I had a 480 once- very similar. I had been warned gearbox in/out was a longish job, but lack of funds led me to try changing the gearbox (it had a mysterious habit of throwing all of it's oil out through the breather). I'm not the worlds best by any means, but me and a couple of friends who had between us took gearboxes/clutches in and out of various

80s VWs gave up as access was a bit of a pig. ISTR struggling even with the starter motor. I took it to the garage. I suspect with very good fcilities it would be easier, but still tricky, depending on your experience

It was a shit car too. Thirsty, unreliable, rustier than you'd like. It handled OK and went OK though, but changing it for a Mk2 Golf was one of the best things I did, shortly after modifying it's front end with a tree- it had plenty enough power to make the front run very wide if you gave it a bootful on a wet road, like an idiot might... Buying it was probably the worst car-related decision I made :-)

Reply to
Chris Bartram

gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Seriously... Why bother?

For what it'll cost you, you could easily buy something FAR better.

Depends on the owner's capabilities...

Reply to
Adrian

That's a good point. The parts will be between £64 and £118 from GSF, plus a good few hours labour. How much can any 440 be worth now?

Reply to
Chris Bartram

sounds like the oil capacity was too much you have to be spot on with these.

Reply to
reg

I don't think so. It threw out enough to start rumbling. Digging around in the depths I found a catch bottle wrappped in black plastic. Suffice to say i had been ripped off.

Reply to
Chris Bartram