95 escort problem - 1.9 FI engine

Hi All,

Lately the engine has been running choppy/sputtering. I though I had picked up some bad gas. Ran the tank and put in some new gas as well as some fuel injector cleaner. Still choppy/sputtering. Gave it a tune-up with new

plugs wires fuel filter air filter breather element pcv value

Still was choppy/sputtering. Cleaned the MAF sensor as per the instructions found here in the newsgroups. Still choppy/sputering.

Anybody have any ideas on what is causing this? Thanks for your help in advance.

Reply to
icepal1999

A number of things could be wrong with your vehicle.. Fuel Pump Weak Coil Getting weak a sensor could be bad, or even dirty injectors.

Reply to
A Frazier

Choppy/sputtering doesn't tell me much. Describe as completely as you can how the engine runs. Does it have the problem at idle? At part throttle? At full throttle? At all engine speeds? Only under load? Only when cold/hot? Is there any surge, hesitation, or loss of power? Any problems starting? Is the MIL on?

Rock

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000Newsgroups

Rock

Sometimes runs smoothly - shifting and all that - sometimes shift into

2nd gear or 3rd/4th/5th and the engine chokes like it needs something (air/fuel) -- it goes from running good to bad and back - no specific pattern

No

Yes

Yes

Yes -- mostly over 15mph

Load or no load - doesn't matter

Yes to all

Reply to
icepal1999

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (icepal1999) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Sounds like a fuel starvation problem to me. Check for bad fuel pump, clogged fuel filter, bad O2 sensors, bad TPS, sediment in fuel tank, bad injectors, and bad ECM. If the problem is easily reproducible, I would save some time and take the car to a Ford dealer to have them diagnose the problem. They can determine if its a fuel or ignition problem, and can usually tell you which part(s) to replace, though sometimes they are wrong. That will cost you about $80.

MIL = malfunction indicator lamp, aka "check engine/X light." If it's on, pull the codes and you might get a clue.

Good luck.

Rock

Reply to
Rock

No "Check Engine" light. I've been looking on Ebay for that code scanner so I check the codes myself. The fuel filter is new -- so i can rule that out. I will check out the other things and get back here to post ASAP.

Thanks

Reply to
icepal1999

Please check your error codes. My 91 with the 1.9 engine NEVER had a check engine light even thought the error codes said a Bad O2 sensor, bad TPS and Bad MAP. After replacing all 3, the error codes went away and the engine ran fine. Oh yes had the sensor on the trans replaced. I broke it, cost me $350 to have service guys do it.

Conclusion, Don't trust the Check Engine Light.

By the way, the final fix of the TPS fixed all my rough running.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Very possible the bad TPS causes all codes, as it is a primary input. It the TPS was faulty, it could force the engine too rich or too lean, beyond the capability of the O2 sensor to correct. This would throw an O2 code. Having the TPS show WOT and the MAP showing low MAP would throw a MAP code. Changing the TPS first MAY welll have cured all 3 codes at once. Or, the O2 sensor may have been damaged by running too rich, for instance, and required replacement as well. The chances of all 3 failing at the same time are somewhat remote - but not impossible.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Reply to
will