97 contour overheating mystery

my 97 contour is running very hot. more so when the a/c is on in city driving. It just slowly gets hotter and hotter. when the guage is 3/4 over to the right I turn the heater on and cool it down. Ive changed the thermostat and the tensioner was recently changed. the high speed fan relay is ok. the pump is pumping (don't know if it is enough though), and the out side of the radiator seems clear. If anybody has any advice I'd appreciate it.

Rob Moroe Mi.

Reply to
Robert and Cathy Mcgee

You don't say if it's a 4 or 6 cyl. I know the 6 cyl had issues with the plastic impeller blades in the water pump breaking.

Reply to
Al

Yup. First time you get over 6000RPM the impeller lets go.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

Reply to
Robert and Cathy Mcgee

I always forget the important stuff. this is a 2.0 liter 4 cyl automatic trans w/ac.

Reply to
Robert and Cathy Mcgee

Yep. And the metal impeller on the 4 cylinder engines erodes away. It will move some coolant but the engine will overheat. Very common.

Reply to
Tom Adkins