98 Contour Electrical Problems

My daughter has my old 98 Contour V6 5-speed. Lost the interior fan, and thus a/c. Seems that the rheostat and wiring harness was burned out. Amazing it
did not start a fire too. Replaced both, and new rheostat burned out within 2 days. Sounds like the fan is drawing a lot of current.
Anyone had this problem??
Thanks.
Larry
check www.contour.org.
I know there were electrical problems with some of the switches and recalls involvinig some of these.
Jeff