98 SE Electrical Problems

I have a 98 SE I purchased in Aug '02 with 105,000 KM. At the time the Air bag light was flashing. The dealer, not a Nissan Shop, put a new side airbag in the driver's seat. Less than a year later, June 03, the light flashed again and when I took it to a Nissan shop, the system apparently was fine and just needed to be reset. They added that they had frequent problems with loose wiring under the seat. Now, Dec 03, it is blinking again. A different Nissan shop claims I need a new driver side air bag...$$$$. Any Ideas.

Additionally, my entire electric system has been has struggled lately. THE recalled ALTERNAOR was changed in Nov 03. They mentioned that the battery may have suffered. The starter is now tempermental also. I plan to re-grease it or replace it this week. One of my indicator lights just went last night.

Are these coincidental?

Thanks, Mike

Reply to
VanG

bag light was flashing. The dealer, not a Nissan Shop, put a new side airbag in the driver's seat.

to a Nissan shop, the system apparently was fine and just needed to be reset. They added that they had frequent problems with loose wiring under the seat.

new driver side air bag...$$$$.

recalled ALTERNAOR was changed in Nov 03. They mentioned that the battery may have suffered.

A battery can suffer from a defective ALT. I would replace it and see how the car holds up after that. MAximas are generally very reliable cars. My 98 also had the ALT replaced and I re-greased my starter. The re-greasing brought the starter right back to life AND made it much quieter, too. If your electrical system has alot of gremlins, like your indicator light going out frequently, you could have a grounding problem. Perhaps investing in a grounding kit so your electrical connections get more solid would make life a lot more reliable for your maxima.

Good luck,

David.

Reply to
David Wapenyi

I re-greased the starter and it works great!...even with a 4 year old battery.

Thanks for saving me $400 CDN.

Mike

Reply to
VanG

Did you remove it from under the auto or did you remove the aircleaner and duching and remove it from above? dk

Reply to
Dave Kind

So you remove the air duching and filter Assy. right? dk ===============

Reply to
Dave Kind

I took the battery out too...for a little more elbo room. But I think that caused the check engine light come on. I rest that at the ECU next to the gas pedal...and worked like a charm. I have weak battery and temperatures lately have been -20 degrees and -30 with windchill. Starts first time, every time.

145, 000 km
Reply to
VanG