99 Windstar Check Engine

I have a check engine light on. Codes P0171 & P0174.

I understand that there is a chance that I can clean the two wires on the MAF

If this does work, will the check engine light go off on it's own, or do I need the tool to clear it? Then I assume if it didn't work the light will come back on. thanks,

--mbt

Reply to
Mbt6

There are many things that can cause these codes; they indicate that the oxygen sensors are not working properly, but it is not necessarily the sensors themselves that are bad; on this year, my first guess would be intake manifold leaks; go to

and type recall in the search box; I believe some of these were recalled.

Reply to
Ted

Does it have driveability issues/symptoms? If it does, see if they clear up when you disconnect the MAF harness. Do that test with engine already warmed.

Cleaning the MAF cant hurt, at any rate. To do a better job on cleaning... remove it and use rubbing alcohol and a never-used paint or 'chip' brush to clean the elements. As long as you dont bend them or knock against anything, those elements are not that fragile.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

There are no drivability issues. The car and engine runs fine, idles file, all seems well, except for this light on. I figured I would at least try to clean this part. However, when I do, how do I get the engine light to go off?

--mike

Reply to
Mbt6

to get the light off you have to reset the computer by talking the ground cable off and leave it off for about 1 min and put it back on the light will go off and if it comes back on you will need to have the codes checked

Reply to
jimmyh

those two codes indicate a vacuum leak at the upper intake manifold. the upper manifold has to be removed, and the rubber gaskets have to be replaced.

Reply to
d.laponte