Adding CD to 96 Ford Tarus w/ AM/FM/Casset

Hi,
I have an 1996 Ford Taurus with AM/FM Cassette. This system actually seems to be a hybrid of sorts. The head unit up front (the 'oval') is actually just a control for the real radio in the trunk.
While investigating the wiring with the intentions of adding a CD changer I discovered that there is a 13-pin connector in addition to the 13-pin and 14-pin connectors that are presently connected. Could this connector be some kind of expansion port? Are some of these pins audio inputs? How would I get the radio to recognize input from this 'spare' connector?
A co-worker has a Taurus with "CD" buttons on the console, but no CD functionality (ie: no changer/player installed anywhere). My Taurus does not have a 'CD' button. If this is a CD input port, do I need to get the console with the CD button, if so what is the part #? If I don't need the CD buttons, can I just connect an audio source to this port somehow? Is there specific documentation I can get that describes this connector?
The part number of the trunk unit is F6DF-18C851-AB, if that helps any.
Many thanks,
-- Steve

the
any.
This is what I did on mine. Bought a changer and mounter in the trunk. It uses the FM radio for the sound. It works very well and sounds good. It comes with a controller that you put on the dash. If you go with a different unit up front the kit cost something like $80 bucks. So if you want cassette and CD you can do the changer thing.....

You're on the right track. Yes, the cd changer adds on to the RCU in the trunk. I believe that you just have to change the in-dash unit.
I'm sure that someone at www.tauruscarclub.com has solid information that can help you.
CJ

the
any.
snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca says...

If you don't have CD changer buttons on the panel, then I don't think your radio will support a changer. Your only hope would be to use an RF modulator changer that uses the FM radio.