Aerostar Shade Tree Tune-up

I'm wondering if I even want to start on this sucker. I'm used to doing everything from under the hood, reaching the back of the engine, etc. With the Aerostar, most of the engine is shoved back and at least part
of the job is done from inside through a front seat center floor panel.
Anyway - any encouragement from anyone who has done it themselves would be much appreciated.
Bob

I've worked my share through the years What a horrible steaming pile... most of my experience was with the 3L versions.
You'll quickly discover that not a whole lot more is accessible with the dog house off...
Plugs for one are a big ugly awkward hassle. Be sure to have a long extension and an assortment of u-joints, and u-joint plug sockets. Little things like getting off wire boots is also very difficult, as is replacing wires.
Want to really have fun, try replacing an injector/s, valve cover gaskets or... ugh... don't even want to think about the the horrible things; they're enough to make you drink. Got a sore back just typing about them. Now I gotta go lay down for a while.
Erik

I owned 2 of the 3.0 vans and they were a challenge - but a whole lot less hassle than the Pontiac TransSport I replaced the second one with. The "compos(i)t pile." The 3.8 couldn't pull worth crap - the 3.0 Aerostar handled the 17 ft trailer as if it wasn't there. The 3.8 Poncho made you want to think it was trying to move the earth.
If the bodies had not rusted so badly on the 'star I might still own one.
On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 13:35:02 -0700, "Guv Bob"

minutes. Another 15 or so to change all the plug wires and cap. Put it on jack stands and remove both front wheels for starters, then pop the doghouse. That's almost 10 of the 20 minutes required. You need a good assortment of extentions and U-Joints., a good SK flex-head ratchet helps too.

etc. With the Aerostar, most of the engine is shoved back and at least part of the job is done from inside through a front seat center floor panel.

Never heard 'dog house' before - I can guess, but what would that be for the Aerostar?

It's just the inside removable engine housing or hatch. A lot of them kind of look 'dog house' like when removed. They vary a lot in ease of removal/installation.
Erik

That's exactly the right word for it in this case. LOL!

I know. Some are a real pain... especially if they've been forced/tweaked and or otherwise broken or mickey moused in the past. As I recall, the Areostar's were like a 3 on the PITA 1 to 10 scale. Particularly fun are the one that require removing seats, and ones that easily soil upholstery and/or carpeting.
A lot of shops in my area charge extra if dog houses will be involved in any way shape or form.
Life's just to short to mess with vans...
Erik

You got that right, Erik, except when they're rockin' - in which case don't come a knockin'.
On Sat, 24 Aug 2013 15:16:47 -0700, "Guv Bob"

handled by 1997, the Aerostar was perhaps the best small van on the North American market. - particularly the 1997 extended 4 liter.

I like mine, except for the power steering noise that you can hear a half block away, the air conditioning compressor failing every 3 years like clockwork, the pleasure of changing spark plugs with only one elbow and the fact that if you open the back at night, there is no switch on the dome light so that you either have to remove the bulb or showcase all the crap you have picked in there.
In spite of these annoyances, I have no plans to trade it.
On Sat, 24 Aug 2013 22:32:13 -0700, "Guv Bob"

without any A/C problems. 2 brothers also had numerous Aerostars - one had a noisy pump that went away (almost totally) when he put in different fluid - not sure what he used.
The AC compressor clutch bearing was noisy on my Ranger (same part) - very simple to replace (half hour job).
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I've quieted a few Ford products over the years by flushing the PS systems with regular new fluid.
GW

Thanks, will look into that. The rack & pinion, PS pump and all the hoses were replaced about 2 years ago and it started whining without 2 weeks. Always use mfr recommended PS fluid and there are no leaks.
On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 22:26:38 -0700, "Guv Bob"