Shade-tree Case-cleaning?

It's gray and overcast here in Carlsbad CA (USA), a mile from the coast of the Pacific Ocean, down in the lower left-hand corner of the United States. Here we are in the midst of the annual onshore flow of moist marine air. This causes what is referred to as "June gloom." Sometimes the weatherfolk will call it a "heavy marine layer," but being this close to Camp Pendleton, a US Marine Corps base, that phrase can also refer to a hooker.

But I digress.

Once I get the Wonderbus's engine case open, and pull the crankshaft and cam shaft and any other parts that need removal -- what's the E-Z and effective shade-tree mechanic's case-cleaning technique?

BTW, there /may/ be one of those do-it-yourself car wash places around here with the high-pressure wands, but I'm not entirely certain.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Diluted uric acid.

Reply to
one_of_many

Reply to
glenf

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 17:02:36 -0700, "Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott" scribbled this interesting note:

Bob Hoover, once again, already has answered this one. Look here for the specifics on case cleaning...

If, on the other hand, you are simply referring to the gunk on the outside, a large oil pan and some mineral spirits (aka paint thinner) and a couple of parts cleaning brushes has always been my approach.

John Willis

And so he has. Believe it or not, I actually did a Google/newsgroup search for this very topic by this very author before posting the question -- having learned that I haven't yet come up with a question that hasn't been answered at least six -- or 60 -- times before. I don't know why I didn't read this one. Probably the title, "Pulling the plug," didn't sound to me like case cleaning. Silly me -- as he writes at the end of the article, "?Assume' is another term for ?guess-work.'"

Thanks for the help!

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Whiz on it, eh? That's what you're recommending?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Reply to
WES PEARSON

Is there a place where one can easily find all of bob hoover's articles? not google newsgroup search, but an organized systematic archive.

Karls

Karls Vladimir Peña

Okay, I'll bite. What's a "Zonie"?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 09:24:42 -0400, "Karls Vladimir Peña" scribbled this interesting note:

Not really. For a while there was a cd-rom that contained a lot of his writings, but it has been discontinued. Bob has pointed out that most of everything he has posted on the Internet is still available online and he has said that it is all under the name Veeduber. All you need to do is ask the right questions in the right places and all will be revealed.

John Willis

I know you said not google groups, but

is the (long) url anyway, I guess bookmarking that is better than nothing :) then you can just add a keyword to the end of the search phrase to find what you are looking for.

Reply to
Adam

About whatever you want it to be. I've heard it used to describe photographers stuck in a regime called the Zone System, and Twilight Zone addicts, even clueless tourists who visit warm zones and raise hell with the ecology. Whatever, it's derogatory.

Reply to
one_of_many

Bob Hoover's `TULZ' series of articles is here:

-- Scott

"Karls Vladimir Peña" wrote

Reply to
Scott H

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 22:29:11 +0100, Adam scribbled this interesting note:

That will get most of the items posted to ramva, but he has posted many things in many places. And remember, even things on Google can be removed if warranted.

John Willis