Alternative to replacing heater core in 1989 Taurus GL?

Hello,

Apologies in advance if this is an inappropriate post or the wrong group.

As the subject states, I'm trying to find an alternative solution to replacing the heater core in a 1989 Taurus GL.

Having replaced it myself once before a few years ago, when the cost to have it done was around $800, was one too many times. The current cost to have it done is around $1200 and the vehicle simply isn't worth it.

The vehicle is only needed as a short term solution for transportation. As it stands now, without a heater or defroster, it can only be used on clear weather days. Snow, ice, or rain, and the vehicle can't be safely driven. You never know when you might need to clear the windshield.

I tried searching for heater core alternatives, but didn't find anything that seemed feasible or that didn't cost a lot.

Has anyone in the group come up with a simple solution or found a comparable product that might be of use? I've seen those ceramic 12V plug in heaters, but I don't think that they are a viable solution.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance to those who post a reply to the group.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Bogiatzidis

There is no viable alternative. Those plug-in heaters are severely limited by the amperage allowed by the 12V outlet. 20A will only produce 240W of heat, not nearly enough to affect the temperature inside a car.

I was afflicted with a non-working heater in an Oldsmobile 5 years ago. You must dress very warmly, especially your feet if you have to drive more than 20 minutes or so. Use a plastic ice scraper to clear the inside of the windshield and windows if it ices up. Use a terrycloth towel to clear away fog. If the heater is leaking, not just clogged up, you need to disconnect the heater hoses from the core and connect them together with a bypass fitting. Spring cannot come fast enough with a situation like this.

If the heater is just clogged, try forcing water thru it in both directions if there's any flow at all. You just might clear it up.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Bailin

Bob,

Thank you for your reply.

I'm sorry that I neglected to mention that I had already bypassed the heater core this past Summer, after comfirming that it was leaking. This was only done in order to be able to use the vehicle for infrequent trips to the local dump or short trips to the store. It basically had been relegated to being a "good weather only" car, but now has become the sole means of transportation due to a major failure on my primary vehicle.

Thanks again for your reply.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Bogiatzidis

The only alternative is see is sell the car for scrap and buy another car with the proceeds.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

One option you can try is to reconnect the heater core and put some super duper brand name stop leak in it and put a low pressure radiator cap on it, perhaps 8 pounds. I assume you have 50./50 antifreeze mix. It might get you thru the winter. You might even get by with the radiator cap only "half' on (so it has almost no pressure) for the winter as long as you check the level fairly often.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher