Big Brakes on Ford Ranger

I just installed 12 inch rotors on my '96 rwd Ranger. When I got it, with stock 14 inch tires and stock brakes, it was definitely under-tired. Then I put on 16 inch rims and 225/70-16
Michelin tires - and i found it totally under braked/over tired.
Putting on the 12 inch (Sport Trac) rotors has shifted the balance in favour of the brakes!! I can hold the tires on the edge of sliding at 60 mph now with no problem at all. - or thow it into full antilock.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news:u71vnalh5bn3kbvp0n4k77cf8bet2ql6fb@ 4ax.com:

How about some details, want to up the brakes on my V8 rangers. KB
On Tue, 16 Jun 2015 23:55:04 +0000 (UTC), Kevin Bottorff

This only works with 1995 and newer twin beam suspension rwd trucks. (or older ones with 1995 or newer knuckles - 2 piston calipers)
2002 + SportTrak 2wd rotors with new bearings and seals, a set of new premium pads to fit the ranger, and a set of custom made spacers made of 3/8 x 2 ich cold rolled steel and some 1 inch steel shafting. Measure the bolt spacing (6.843") and the required offset (0,975"). Lay out and accuratel drill the holes on the 2 8 inch long CRS bars. Drill 15/32.
Take the hunk of shafting, minimum 4 inches long, and slice off one side so you have about an eighth of an inch of "meat" left after drilling the 15/32 hole in the center of the shaft - I did it on a bandsaw with the shaft clamped to an angle iron to keep it from trying to spin. Cut the chunks about an inch long and chuck them in the 3 jaw chuck of the lathe to face to length Aprox 0.845") and drill.
I sanded the cut face smooth to make them look good, then bolted them onto the plates with the flats facing the other hole, then welded them together. You'l need 4 12 mm 12.2 or better (hardened) bolts with small heads and nuts to fit. I used allen heads - with a grip length of about 30mm ( just over an inch) - that means the non-threaded section of the bolt - you will cut off the threaded portion that extends beyond the bolt.
You will also need a set of caliper bolts about 3/8" longer than the stock ones - available from good auto parts jobbers.
You will need to grind the steering knuclke so the flats of the spacers can go in far enough to align the bolts, and then you will need to gring the caliper frames to allow them to align with the bolt holes on the adapters. I put the allen heads on the knuckle side, with the nuts towards the rotor, with a hard washer under the head, with one edge ground flat to give clearance for the caliper bolt head and washer - which might also need some griding depending on what bolt you get.
May need to redrill the spacers to 31/64" to get the shanks of the 12mm bilts to fit cleanly.
Then I removed the backing plate/splash pan and beat it flat with a hammer on an anvil so it doesn't touch the rotor. The "middle" 4mm bolt that holds the pan on should be replaced with a "pan head" screw - I didn;t do this so I had to grind the head of the bolt almost off to provide clearance between it and the installed rotor. Install the rotors, the bolt on the caliper frames (with new slider bolts and rubbers installed and lubed with Sil Glyde) then install the new pads and the calipers.
Bolt on the (minimum 16 inch) wheels and away you go.
REMEMBER - the 12mm caliper bolts get torqued to 80 ft lbs, and a bit of blue (medium) loc-tite doesn't hurt!!!
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news:gfg1oal690nevjt3js3o07juq17gipvbte@ 4ax.com:

THanks I saved it and will study it more later. I only have 98 up 2wd rangers as the cab is bigger. KB
On Wed, 17 Jun 2015 22:00:51 +0000 (UTC), Kevin Bottorff

Then you are out of luck for this conversion. Only works up to 1997. There might be a way of doing it, but the spacer situation will be different. Might be able to graft on the 11 inchers from a 2001 and up Ranger - - -
On Mon, 15 Jun 2015 22:13:34 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

So does the vehicle have anti-lock brakes? Were you not able to engage the anti-lock with the old brakes and larger tires?
> GUEST wrote: > I just installed 12 inch rotors on my '96 rwd Ranger. > When I got it, with stock 14 inch tires and stock brakes, it was > definitely under-tired. Then I put on 16 inch rims and 225/70-16 > Michelin tires - and i found it totally under braked/over tired. > > Putting on the 12 inch (Sport Trac) rotors has shifted the balance in > favour of the brakes!! I can hold the tires on the edge of sliding at > 60 mph now with no problem at all. - or thow it into full antilock.
When you installed the 12-inch Sport trak rotors, what size was the tire again?
On Wed, 29 Jul 2015 23:28:58 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@gmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (bravetony) wrote:

Currently running 225/70 16 michelins - will be installing 235/70 16 Haks for the winter.