Brake pedal switch

There is a switch conected to the brake pedal that controls at least a solenoid to release the shifter and also the brake lights. On my 1998 Taurus this has stopped working. It started this just after I had the
instrument panel ilumination fixed at a ford dealership. Is there some connection between these two events or is this just a simple switch failure? I would be very appreciative for some guidece. Tom if you are monitoring this group please respond- you fixed everything else for me last time.
Thanks,
Tom Gibbs
On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 03:48:42 -0800 (PST), voyagergibbs

Probably just a coincidence since the switch has nothing to do with the panel as far as repairs. The switches were/are junk. It is fairly cheap at about $20US at the dealer for a "new improved" version. You can get them at/thru most parts stores and they are easy to replace in about 10 minutes if you have long nose pliers or a screwdriver to remove the clothspin clip that holds it in place. The end of the pin hooks over the end of the pedal pin and has to be pulled back to remove the pin from the other pin on which the switch is mounted. You will probably find the switch with burned contacts which is a load problem.
Lugnut
In article <0e870308-6523-4c4f-ad0b-946c66ed5877

It's possible they damaged some wiring or connectors related to it if the instrument panel repairs requires them crawling underneath and accessing things behind it.