Catalytic Converter

Reply to
Shoe Salesman

It has a new tps but I just got a imrc fault on #2 bank. I have no idea where to look for this control or how to test. Any ideas? Thanks

Reply to
Don

Can you remove the exhaust pipe from the exhaust header for bank #2? The idea is to remove the cat from the equation to see how the engine runs under acceleration. Seems like you've tried everything else.

Reply to
sleepdog

No I can't as it connected to bank #1 via a Y pipe. I may have to replace the injectors on the #2 bank even the scanner shows good. I guess it's possible to have one leaking.

Reply to
Don

I'm comming around to the same conclusion that I have a leaky injector on #2 bank causing this greif. I guess I'll change the 3 on that side. Everything I've tested points to bank #2. I don't think there is a way to isolate which one it is as it idles fine except when you snap the throttle open it bogs down then sometimes backfires in the intake and it only cuts out under normal driving conditions.

Reply to
Don

I pulled the injectors for test and clean and to no surprise to Pro-Flo it had the wrong pintle caps installed. It came from the factory with

39mm orfice and should be a 21mm. Had them cleaned new pintle caps of correct size, reinstalled have my power back with no hesitation or backfire. The 39mm may have ruined my cats yet they haven't set a code. I still get this annoying stutter at highway speeds. After doing some research I find the stutter may be in the transmission do to a dirty filter or speed sensor. Anyone ever expierence what feels like a miss but it is associated with the transmission?
Reply to
Don

Glad you found that problem... Ive seen studder/shudder when the car shifts into OD. The fix is a filter change and flush. There are also additives that will stop the shudder.

Reply to
Shoe Salesman

I plan on getting a flush and filter change this week. I hope this will be the end of it for a while. Thank you for your suggestions.

Reply to
Don