Changing motor mount on 3.0

So, what's it like changing the front motor mount on 89 sable 3.0 ? Is it just disconnect the right side dampner jack the engine and the mount should
come right out ? Where is the best place to jack the engine up ? The book says to jack it up on the oil pan, I don't like that idea.
Its been a few years but I think I ended up changing every mount on my damned 90 Taurus, dont remember any being that bad to do at all, I think the rear was the most difficult. Yes!, it surprised me but hold up your engine by the oil pan, I used a 2x4 inbetween the jack and the oil pan and had no problems.

Tim wrote:

wheel well opening to get to the bolts. I just did the one on my 93 and jacked up the oil pan.
Bob
-
On Mon, 09 May 2005 02:25:50 GMT, "Tim"

If the front has been bad a while, the rear is also likely to be broken. The best way to get at it is remove the wheel and remove the inner fender liner. Not as bad as it looks. IIRC, you have to dismount the a/c compressor to get the front mount top bolt out unless you have the right socket. When you replace the mounts, be sure to settle the weight of the engine on them before fully tightening the bolts to the frame. This allows them to center and take a bit of stress off the front mount. Use a sturdy block of wood between the jack and the oil pan and it is fine.
Good luck Lugnut
lugnut wrote:

The other posts have you covered on replacement. I'll just add my $.02. The biggest cause of front motor mount failure on older Taurus/Sables is oil saturation from a leaking power steering pump. Check for and repair any leaks in the pump area or you will be replacing the mount again shortly. This leakage also attacks the AC lines around the compressor.             Regards, Tom
Tom Adkins wrote:

One thing you can do (although its a pain in the ass) Is replace the return hose off the pump. There is not much pressure on this hose, but for some reason the rubber gets hard and they leak. Rather than replace the whole hose assembly, you can grind off the crimped clamp and put on a 6" or so rated piece of new hose with two clamps. It will save you a lot of money and grief replacing the whole hose from the rack. Buts its no fun to grind off the old crimped clamp carefully
Bob
-