Compatible engines for 96 Explorer

Hi. The crankshaft has self destructed on my 1996 Explorer, so I'm told I need to replace the engine. They seem to be in short supply. Can anyone tell me what other models and years would have a compatible engine that I could drop into my Explorer? I have a 96 XLT with a V6.

Reply to
Silmarillion

Bob

I've called the local auto salvage now that they are open, and they tell me the following are all compatible. Can anyone verify or disprove what they say?

Compatible engines:

1991-1996 Explorer 1993-1996 Ranger 1990-1996 Aerostar 1994-1996 Mazda B4000 1994-1996 Mazda Navaho

Thanks,

Evan

Reply to
Silmarillion

Since this is an OBDII layout engine, you are rather limited to 1996 or

1997 Aerostar engines for an easy swap on the 3.0, 95,96,97 Aerostar engines on the 4.0. It may depend on production dates w/ the 4.0.

Those other vehicles are a broad general range depending on 3.0 or

4.0... eg. the Explorer never had a 3.0, which leads me to believe you specified a 4.0 to the yard, you did not tell us which engine you have.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

I believe I have the 4.0L. I don't know anything about the production date though.

Evan

Reply to
Silmarillion