Contour/mystique brake light problem

Wife's '96 Mystique has a problem with the brake lights. Center lights work. Side lights don't. Signals work, so not bulb problem, and center lights work so not brake switch or fuse. Is there a common problem
with the multi-function switch and is it easy to repair or do I need to replace?
I found the common problem with the heater motor today - plug burned out at switch, switch shot. All the used ones at the local wrecker have the same problem -- I WONDER???????

clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

There have been TSBs about things related to the heaters. I don't know if the '96 vehicles were involved. I think there was a extended warranty on the switches that went for 10 years, so most likely you SOL.
However, there is a 800-number that you can call at http://www.fordvehicles.com/help/contact /. Have your VIN 9serial #) handy. They should be able to tell you if you have a recall on your vehicle and any TSBs or extended warranties on these problems.
Jeff