Crank Key, will not come out.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to remove a crank key from the end of a crankshaft? I tried grabbing it with pliers, knocking it out with a hammer and chisel, thought about heat but worried about the
effects on the crank, bearing, seal. Any tricks I should be aware of?
The key needs to be replaced, worn down after many years of use, succeeded to also gouge out the key slot on the harmonic balancer. Its a 1990 Escort GT 1.9L EFI HO motor if anyone cares.
Thanks!
On Apr 22, 5:28 pm, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

What's happened to this newsgroup? Does anyone want to talk about fixing Fords anymore or just debate the state of the Big 3 domestic auto manufacturers?
On 23 Apr 2007 08:12:56 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Have you tried with a very small chisel that might get under it? Can you grab it with visegrips and then hammer UP on the visegrip? Hammering on it, however, may not be good for the engine thrust bearing and or the seals in that area. I'd be inclined to try a little heat near it.

Got it finally, figured out by lowering the engine enough and turning the key to six o'clock I could get at it better from underneath the car, at the end of the crank with, as you suggested, a small chisel that got underneath the outboard end of the key. Thanks!