can't remove key

99 grand prix. most of the time, i cannot remove my ignition key. When I shift to park, it shows park on the dash, the stirring colunm is not locked and the key won't go all the way to the off position to lock the stirring column and remove. Anyone out there in Pontiacland see this problem before? Thanks Dave
Reply to
David Hough

Nicholas Wittebol

Same thing with my 99 GP, started out where it would come out part of the time, now a year later its stuck in there. Just haven't spent the money to have it fixed.

Reply to
Philip

It's interlocked to the shifter, but of course you already know that, and you also know that posting here won't help it. There ain't much any of us can do about it.

Reply to
Joe

Not necessarily, if you pull out one of the fuses it resets and you can pull the key out.

Reply to
Philip

Phil It looks like you've delt with this, a little It's good to know about the fuze. This used to be a mechanical thing, with a cable running from theshift lever. I'm going to look deeper. I'm going to buy a new Chilton manual. I'll post anything I find out. Dave

Reply to
David Hough

I don't remember which fuse it is, I know I just got mad one day and started pulling them. Then I would start the car after each one and see if the key came out. Holy crap after one it did. So, yeah let me know what you find out.

Reply to
Philip

although, I did disconnect the battery this morning. Which would be the same as pulling a fuze, but I still could not remove the key. The reason I disconnected the battery is that it was dead this AM and I needed a jump. When I disconnected the battery there was a spark so the juice was on and flowing with the key off but not in lock.

Reply to
David Hough

I had to have my keyswitch and key replaced a few years ago when the key stuck in there and couldn't be removed at all. It was compounded by the fact that it would no longer start with the key and I had to push start the car to get the motor running (manual transmission). It has worked fine since, and I am taking the advice of the dealer and no longer have about 50 keys on the ring hanging from the switch. I just keep about a half a dozen important keys on the ring I use in the car.

Reply to
john graesser

Phil Using a torqs driver I removed the two screws and the lower shield, under the steering column and keyswitch. There is a little brass plunger hanging down. I push on it and can turn off and remove the key. By leaving the cover off, I am getting by, until I find the perminent solution. Dave

Reply to
David Hough