Dashpot

Fellow Ford Drivers,
I have asked for help in the past and I have another question. I have a 1978 Granada with a 250 inline six with auto transmission. I have a
Carter YFA carburetor. There is a dashpot on the carburetor. Can anyone tell me what the dashpot is used for? I can tell that the plunger is pushed in when the throttle is closed and the plunger is released when the throttle is opened. There is a wire on the end of the dashpot so I was wondering what this signal tells the engine to do or not do.
Thanks in advance
azazel scratch wrote:

There are a couple of things these solenoids were used for in the 70's:
1. Idle stop. To prevent dieseling, or run on, the solenoid de-energized when the key was turned off to close the throttle more. This let less air in, and prevented the engine from running on. Engine idles were beginning to get higher and higher in the 70's to lessen smog production from the engine, and the high idles were causing run on. So, to prevent run on, they added a solenoid that would close the throttle more when the ignition was shut off.
2. Air conditioning. Sometimes, air conditioners load an engine so much at idle that the car won't stay running. Sometimes these idle solenoids were added to open the throttle more when the air conditioner was turned on.
I'm not 100% sure which yours is for, but these were common usages back then.
Gerard
--
Gerard's Automobile Book, Video, and DVD Store
http://www.bob2000.com/booksvids.html