dip stick?

after reading some of these more humorous posts, i want to give back and add this experience to the group.

it was back in 1975. i was an instructor at a military advanced electronic tech. school. this school requires an above average intelligence to get in, so the student coming into the school is not dumb, but may not have the best mechanical sense.

during one of the class breaks, a student comes up to me and said that because i know a lot about cars, he was wondering what the problem was with his 1966 mustang w/automatic.

i said, "sure, go ahead and tell me...."

he said, "well, the problem is with the transmission. i can start the car and it goes into gear, but when the car shifts into second and third, sometimes, it slips."

i said, "have you checked the transmission fluid level?"

he said, "how do you do that?"

"you use the dip stick"

"dipstick?"

"yeah, put start the car on level ground and pull the dip stick out and check to see if the fluid is low"

"on the engine?"

"no, on the transmission"

"transmissions don't have dip sticks"

"yes, they do. on that particular model, it's located on the right hand side, at the back of the engine"

"look, i've had this car for 6 months and i ain't never seen no dip stick under that hood other than on the engine. you're kidding me - right?"

"no, check it out and you'll see"

"ok, i'll check it after school"

the next morning, he comes into class and the first thing he said was, "you're right. it's exactly where you said it was. and i did exactly what you told me too and the dip stick shows that the oil is down below the second add mark"

i said, "well, there's your problem. just add the transmission fluid and it should shift ok"

he looks at me and says, "where do you put the fluid in?"

now, given what i've just said about how he didn't believe me about a transmission having a dip stick, do you think for one second he is going to believe what i'm about to tell him?"

now, to put the cherry on the top of this situation. about three weeks later, he and two of his buddies decide to take his engine apart and rebuild it. the engine had nothing wrong with it and was running fine. he said that he just wanted something to do that weekend. when i ask him if he or any of his buddies had any mechanical experience? he said, "no....... why?"

two weeks after that, there was an ad on the bulletin board for a 1996 mustang for sale, the ad said the engine is out of the car, but doesn't run and gave his name and phone number.

i don't know what ever happened to him...

~ curtis

knowledge is power - growing old is mandatory - growing wise is optional "Many more men die with prostate cancer than of it. Growing old is invariably fatal. Prostate cancer is only sometimes so."

c palmer

His car gets about 30 years newer, but otherwise a very humorous post.

After working on a few newer cars, I know what happened to him. He became an automotive engineer.

Reply to
Kruse

I'll feel safer in a model T now. .

Reply to
Shawn

A '96 Mustang in 1975? That must have been a rare one.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

30 years? How do you figure? 1996 - 1976 = 20 years (it was 1975, but 1976 models were probably out).

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Well, he (the kid, not the OP) starts out with a 1966 Mustang and in the end tried to sell a 1996 Mustang....... I don't have that many fingers to subtract it, and I DID have public education..... Does ANYBODY have a calculator?

Oh, geesh. Never mind.

My apologies to the OP. I know all he had was a typo, not a bad case of arithmetic.

Reply to
Kruse

Read the OP. He was talking about 1966 Mustang. The "96" was an obvious typo.

Reply to
Tim J.

My mistake. the article talked about what happened in 1975 to a 1966 or

1996 mustang.
Reply to
Jeff

after reading some of these more humorous posts, i want to give back and =A0=A0=A0=A0add this experience to the group. it was back in 1975. i was an instructor at a military advanced electronic tech. school. =A0 this school requires an above average intelligence to get in, so the student coming into the school is not dumb, but may not have the best mechanical sense. two weeks after that, there was an ad on the bulletin board for a 1996 mustang for sale, the ad said the engine is out of the car, but doesn't run and gave his name and phone number. A '96 Mustang in 1975? That must have been a rare one. Jeff

=3D=3D=3D> hi jeff - i didn't catch the typo. it was the same 1966 stang = that the student had.

he was one of those guys who had brains, but not much in the common sense dept. how bad????

well, here's another one of his episodes.

one night, he and some buddies went to the club for some serious drinking of everclear. i don't remember what proof it is, but i remember that it's not the weak stuff. he wasn't feeling any pain when he got back to his dorm. he had an mild acne problem and would treat it by using rubbing alcohol on his face. so, when he got to his nightly rituals, he put the rubbing alcohol on his face, stuck a cigarette in his mouth and struck the match ..............and lit his face.

he was lucky. when he got out of the hospital, all he had was redden skin, but no scars. his nick name from then was "zippo" or "the flame" nobody ever called him by his regular name after that.

he did some other equally wild adventures, but i don't want to bore you with non ford stuff. let's just say you should have seen what he did with a bag of black gun powder one weekend in trying to get rid of some gophers...........