Removal of Broken Dip Stick '96 Concorde?

The dip stick handle broke off about 3/8" below the top of the dip stick tube. Any ideas on how to pull the stick out?

Reply to
Arnie Goetchius

You may be able to pull out the dipstick tube and get it. I'm not sure exactly on your model, but usually they (dipstick tube) are either pressed in the block, or have a bracket that is bolted to the engine. May be easier than dropping the oil pan. I doubt you will find any pliers slim enough to retrieve it through the tube.

Good luck.

Reply to
Harry Balzak

You could try putting a magnet on the end of a string and lowering it into the tube and trying to pull it up, not sure if the stick is magnetic though, and itd have to be a small magnet.

Reply to
James Yedon

Reply to
ulas cosar coskun

There are some very long, thin needle-nose pliers. Radio Shack may or may not have the type. They would definitely work if you can find them

- grip much better than tweezers. A smaller normal pair of needle-nose may work if the jaws are long and thin enough.

Heck - buy a cheap pair of smallish ones at Radio Shack and grind the sides thin. Spray the metal filings off with brake parts cleaner before sticking them into the dipstick tube.

Bill Putney

Arnie,

You are real close here. Get a very small drill bit, 1/8" or so and work at the plastic around the metal core of the dipstick. You will not be able to push the dipstick down much if any farther than it is. It will not go all the way down into the pan. After you get some of the plastic drilled out, blow it out with a little compressed air. There should be a flat metal tang that you can get a pair of hemostats on. This has worked a bunch of times for me.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Why don't you take the screw and using a propane torch, heat it up as much as you can, then jam it down into the plastic. Let it cool, and enough of the plastic should have formed around it to allow you to pull it out.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

What you really need is a hemostat (used by surgeons to clamp blood vessels). I think you can also get those at radio shack (people use them to clamp parts together for gluing/soldering). It looks like a long thin pair of pliers that can lock in place using little serrations in the handle. They're only a few bucks. If you absolutely can't fish the stick out, you can probably safely pull the tube out of the block, remove the stick and then replace the tube. It's either lightly pressed in place or held in place by an easily replacable O-ring.

cheers,

Chris Mauritz

bummer...

Don't do that. You're bound just to get a bunch of filings in the crankcase. It probably won't work anyway. It'll just push the stick further into the tube.

Nah, just give it a firm yank. Then when you're done, gently tap it back in with a blunt chisel/centerpunch and a small mallet.

That's a really bad idea. See above.

Bill Putney's idea with a hot wire/paperclip might just work too.

Cheers,

Chris Mauritz

Reply to
mic canic

How about taking an 1/8" extend drill bit and drilling a hole in the plastic then tape a 3" long Sheetrock screw on the end of a screwdriver Screw it into the hole and pull out the broken stick.

Reply to
Jay