Door keypad inop - '00 GM

The keyless entry pad quit working, can't lock/unlock anything. Noticed that the 9/0 button doesn't illuminate when a key is pressed (and of course, 0 is part of my combination). The other four keys do light up.
I suspect there's a problem with the keypad assembly. I did check the connectors inside the door, just to be sure, and they are secure.
Is the keypad a common failure item?
TIA for any info.
Larry