Drive shaft/differential?

I have a 99' Ranger 4 banger, 2WD 5 speed. Over the last couple of months after starting the truck, releasing the parking brake, and putting the trans
in first or reverse, slowly releasing the clutch, the truck will not move, It is like the rear tires are frozen to the ground. After rocking the car, forward and reverse, It will finally break free and all seems fine. Is there problems with the drive shaft or differential with these pickups. It happens also without the parking brake engaged. It seems to occur when the truck sits idle for 2-3 days.
Thanks.
Have you tried paving your driveway or laying down some stone? <g>
That's an odd one, I guess for now don't let it sit for a couple of weeks or you'll really be in for it.

I don't know how this would happen, but could this be your brakes sticking?
My brakes stick a bit when the car has sat out for a few days, but not like this, though.
Jeff

check rear axle for leaking seal that should cure ya
hurc ast
Thanks, I will check the seal and let you know.

and how will a leaking rear axel seal do this?? check the rear brakes, especialy the rear parking brake cables. they are most likley frayed and keeping the rear brakes applied.
wrote:

trans
move,
car,
there
happens

um no mention of heat and if you read complaint it also sez parking brake is also off when it happens as well
oil does make the brake lining swell
btw cables rarley frey the usually rust solid
dont work on cars k
hurc ast

i had an aerostar with similar symptoms. emergency brake cable .
wrote:

months
truck
it is quite obvious you do not work on cars, especially fords. the parking brake cable is known to deteriorate when it is not completly released. the heat generated causes the plastic cable covering to melt causing the cable to stick, causing the brakes to stay partially engaged.
wrote:

months
truck
Yup, p-brake cable gets crusty, er rusty. Get out the liquid wrench!

Just ignore bozo, he can barely SPELL cars let alone work on them. Bozo changes his name constantly but always signs huricane ast at the end of his posts. He's got much more time than brains and isn't worthy of carrying on an argument with. Ignore him and he will go away. Bob
actually bob, i do, but sometimes its fun to bait the little asshole . the point i was trying to convey was just that, that he is an idiot, and the origional poster should not listen to anything he says. i am still waiting
message

parking
the
cable
his
I will check my truck today and will post what I found if anyone is still interested.
J&C

Problem is the emergency brake cables(frayed) and rear brakes shoes.

responding to http://www.motorsforum.com/ford/Drive-shaft-differential-1136-.htm IndyTruckDriver wrote: J&C wrote:

My truck ('97 Ford Ranger 4-cylinder 5 speed) is having the same problem this morning. This is the first time this winter I've come outside to find the door frozen shut, too, so maybe something else is frozen, too?
##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.motorsforum.com/ Automotive Community Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.autos.ford - 48540 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##