Ford chief seeks help from Toyota

Page 5 of 7

I will do the same at the NYC show. I wish Mike would join me, though. While I disagree with him on this issue as well as who is #2 in US auto sales, he seems to be a nice gentleman who likes cars. I should be fun meeting him and seeing the cars with him (or any other member of the newsgroup).
Jeff
Of course people can disagree and still be a nice people, except politicians I guess. Besides all my friends and relatives love me. ;)
I have been going to the NYC International Auto Show since I was in college in the early fifties, when it was held in the NYC Convention Center at Columbus Circle. A number of friends in the business from Delaware and I would drive every year but now we go by limousine on the first day, however and that is the day before it is opens to the public.
mike

That is the source of your misunderstanding, you guys are equating NA parts content with US content.
The funny thing is I asked the question of one of the Ford engineers at the NYC show last year, he did not know the difference either. I had to call one of my old friends also retired, from when I worked as a design engineer at Ford, to get the correct answer as to why three are three numbers for vehicle assembled the US.
mike

Which office did you work at? I know a number of folks who work in Dearborn, one of them lives two doors down from me. I will ask them if they remember you...

In my final years I worked in structural destructive testing, on crumple zone design. I retired from Ford in 1986. You will not find me as Mike Hunter in any event
mike

Nice, so you won't confirm where you worked, under what name, you've been retired for better than two decades, and your "sources" are retired engineers as well, who I am sure are completely "in the know" for current specifications and up-to-date practical engineering guidelines.
And you wonder why no one believes you?

The current VIN numbering system has been in effect since 1980. Some of the 'young' guys I worked with and trained are now retiring. You can be cynical and free to believe whatever you choose,. I could not care less. . ;)
mike

And you still won't post anything to validate your claims, you just say "I know it for a fact." Well I for one have never met someone who wouldn't back up their claims with evidence that wasn't considered a crackpot. How convenient it is that you can't post a simple link to any evidence to back up your claims, since after all it was a couple of guys that told you what apparently no one else knows.
In psychiatric circles, that's known as a self-reinforcing delusion.
Have a good life.
<plonk>

I could not care less what you think, Dr Spock. LOL
mike

Thank goodness for that ;)
mike

How can that possibly be? VINs are specific by their nature to a particular vehicle. Obviously you have not learned anything from this discussion, even from the things you yourself have posted, like the designation for individual models that are part of the individual VIN. I .E. a P71 is an Interceptor, a P74 is a CV LX, a T85 is a Mustang GT convertible and an M26 is a Zephyr, T15 is an F150, an X15 is a 4x4 F150 etc.
mike

You're making a cyclical argument, based on the premise that your original claim is correct, which you have provided NO documentation other than "because I said so."

Actually it is because I know so, because I did the search to find out why. ;)
mike

Yet you won't share it to prove your claims, and you wonder why no one believes you.

Mike,
Each time you insist you did the search, yet refuse to share the links to the information you found, the more feeble minded you look to EVERYONE reading you posts...
:-(

Mike Hunter wrote:

You keep saying this but you have yet to provide an authoritative cite to substantiate your claim, while your detractors have provided multiple cites as refutations.
Jack
No they haven't, the only thing they have posted is that the first number is the county where the vehicle is assembled . Nothing about the specific number assigned 1, 4 and 5. ;)
mike

On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 09:50:16 -0500, Mike Hunter rearranged some electrons to form:

The 1st digit of the VIN does not designate anything about the parts content.
You were wrong before, Mike, and you're still wrong.
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.ford/browse_frm/thread/58fd656baa1b7f88/444c5d18dde60d3b?lnk=st&q=ford+VIN+position&rnum #444c5d18dde60d3b

--
David M (dmacchiarolo)
http://home.triad.rr.com/redsled