ford F-150 VERY BAD COLD WEATHER MISS

Threaded View

HELP. CHECK ENGINE LIGHT STAYS ON.VERY BAD MISS IN COLD WEATHER,WILL BEARLY
GO UP THE ROAD UNTIL IT WARMS UP.BEEN DOING THIS FOR THREE YRS IN WINTER.
CHANGED: FUEL FILTER,SPARK PLUGS AND WIRE 2 TIMES, AND JUST YESTERDAY HAD
IT IN THE SHOP BECAUSE OF EGR FLOW TO OUT EVERYTHING WAS FILTHY SO THEY
CLEANED IT ETC. NO PROBLEMS. STARTED THIS MORNING SAME OLD PROBLEM. CANT
FIND PROBLEM HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP OR HAVE MORE IDEAS!!

Re: ford F-150 VERY BAD COLD WEATHER MISS

You might get more responses if you provide details on the year model,
engine, and mileage.

Ed

Re: ford F-150 VERY BAD COLD WEATHER MISS

1997 ford F150 4x4 tow package extend. cab automatic, @140,000 mls.

Re: ford F-150 VERY BAD COLD WEATHER MISS

Any chance you have a coolant leak?

Is the check engine light flashing, or just on solid? If the light is
flashing, you most likely have a solid misfire on at least one cylinder. I'd
suggest taking it to an auto parts store like AutoZone that reads the codes
for free. The code will tell you which cylinder(s) is misfiring and you can
go from there.

If you have a 5.4L, I'd guess you have a bad coil pack boot. But since you
say you have replaced the spark plug wires, you must have a 4.6L - in which
case I would suspect a bad plug wire, or a bad coil. Either way, having the
codes read should go along ways towards identifying the problem.

Regards,

Ed White

Re: ford F-150 VERY BAD COLD WEATHER MISS

I am having the exact same issue with my 97 F150 4.6L.  The engine
light was blinking then went solid.
Last week early in the morn, there was a misfire but had no engine
light on.  The next day (later in the day) there was no miss.  A few
days later early in the morning, the miss came back.  The light started
to blink then stayed on.
When I lift my foot off the gas, the mis went away.  When I take off
from a stop, and keep it in 2nd gear, there is no miss.  When I leave
the tranny in drive, the miss ccures.
It seems then when the engine is booged down with load, there is a
misfire, when the engine gets to a higher RPM (no stomping on the gas)
the miss goes away.
Any other tips to suggest?  Thanks!
coldpack.

Re: ford F-150 VERY BAD COLD WEATHER MISS

Why are you guys asking for clairvoyance, when there is real information
available? Read the codes, for goodness sake. That's what they are for. At
the very least they will point you to the cylinder with the miss.

Re: ford F-150 VERY BAD COLD WEATHER MISS

What year. engine, mileage?

Re: ford F-150 VERY BAD COLD WEATHER MISS

Uh... year and engine?

What PARTICULARLY do you do to start it, cold morning?

Get the codes read out .. maybe at autozone , come back with CODES!!!,
not the description

you pay..DEAL with it!

Re: ford F-150 VERY BAD COLD WEATHER MISS

And are you reading this on a teletype, or has your shift key jammed?
stop
It must really suck, surfing the net at 110 baud
stop

you pay..DEAL with it!

Re: ford F-150 VERY BAD COLD WEATHER MISS

i was on other sites looking around.just a young female(of course i dont
know much about mechanics)dont have truck here got print out long time
ago. just was looking for idead didn't know you had to have specifics
excuse me if you want to be a smart ass dont bother!!!! sleepybear

Re: ford F-150 VERY BAD COLD WEATHER MISS

does it seem hard to start, what do you do to get it started on cold
mornings?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - -
read my sig...we're all adults here.  how about if you dont want smartass
answers along with good advice, stay away from the net?!!!

you pay..DEAL with it!

Re: ford F-150 VERY BAD COLD WEATHER MISS

Sleepy,

Welcome to the group!
Trust me, Backyard is a very nice (not to mention incredibly knowledgeable)
guy.
You may not know that, but posting on usenet in all capitals is considered
impolite and, on a more practical level, makes reading very difficult. So
please help the experts (that description will not include me...) who so
generously volunteer their time and wisdom to this group to help you.

Good luck getting your truck back in order!

Site Timeline